Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Student Intro to Electric Power Engineering - Links?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amurray

Electrical
May 5, 2005
US
We will have a couple of high school (~16yr olds) interns this summer at our engineering firm. I am trying to find good intro to power engineering videos, talks, website that we could have them look at to help give them a feel for the industry. Some of the engineers will give them some talks on certain subjects as well. I found the IEEE Power Society's section for students and hoping to find some others.

Anyone have suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Andy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Which level of power engineering are you talking about: in-plant distribution, utility distribution, transmission, generation?

For in-plant distribution, I like Eaton's 101 Basics series found here, and Siemens QuickSTEP training found here.

I'd have to search for resources at the other levels.

xnuke
"Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life." Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Thanks for those links. That is the type of items i was thinking about. We do all types of power engineering like the ones you listed so I am trying to compile resources that they could review to get some of the basic ideas.

Andy

For a fascinating insight into the company which invented the steam turbine, have a look at the links in thread666-264001. The first one takes a while to get going but it's worth hanging on.

If you are interested in calculating voltages and currents in three-phase networks, you might have look at a program called elplek, see . Elplek is a simple, freeware load flow and short circuit program, that is easy to use (in my opinion:). The program can also do simple, straightforward calculations: Given voltage sources (generators, feeders), what are the voltages and currents in the network, withour faults or a reference to load flow.

Have a look at arcadvisor.com for a variety of online resources, PC software and mobile apps for short circuit fault current, arc flash hazard analysis and labeling. All the programs and apps are available in free trial versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back