Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

studio spline NOT constrained to a plane. NX9 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

opetrenko1

Aerospace
Oct 2, 2010
US
is it possible in NX9 to draw a studio spline NOT constrained to a plane?
I'm in NX9
I'm trying to close some gaps, need to connect a corner to a nearby face's edge keeping everything tangent. Keep getting a spline on one of the WCS planes.
Spent an hour trying and googling. Nothign... Thanks !

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hard to tell from your description, but Bridge Curve or Fit Curve should do what you want. Bridge Curve easily allows you to keep tangency to the connecting curve(s), and fit curve allows you to make a 3D curve through X number of points anywhere in modeling space.

Bridge curve can also be constrained to connecting faces, which is great when you want to make connecting wireframe on an existing solid/surface.

Fit Curve
spline_mx11dq.png

Bridge Curve
bridge_ecft57.png

Felix K. Holloway - Designer - NX 9 & 11

Thank you.
I'm aware of Bridge and yes, Fit often is a good substitute.
Yet the question remains: is Studio spline tool limited to planar curves? and if not -- how to draw a non-planar Studio spline ?

The studio spline tool can create 3D curves. If you change the drawing plane option to "view", you can pick 3D points or rotate your view to create "off plane" points. Alternatively, if you use one of the WCS plane options, you can move the WCS between picks to create points or poles in 3D space.

www.nxjournaling.com

Nice Cowski, it's an interesting thing that you have to move the view or CSYS to your desired plane after each click if you want 3D. I wasn't aware of that and have been using other functions to make curves 3D. Thanks-

Now I'm curious if using this method provides better functionality that another function to create a 3D curves. Seems to me like using studio spline for 3D is great for more freeform modeling but might cause some results that are difficult to control if you are trying to constrain the curve to anything?

Felix K. Holloway - Designer - NX 9 & 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back