Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Studying Engineering Physics/Electrical Eng. after 40?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RulerRa7

Electrical
Oct 2, 2011
US
Helpful insight is what I'm looking for. I'm considering returning to school at the age of 42 to either study "Engineering Physics or Electrical Engineering." I first attempted my Bachelor degree in the late 90's, but decided to drop out for various reasons.

What I'd like input on, is if this task, is actually a "realistic" endeavor upon which I can make at this point in my life? I have no children and not married!! What do you think I can expect? How should I prepare myself for vigorous course work? You know...things like that? I've always had a massive interest in science and technology. There are multiple reasons why I want to return to school, one, is that recent passing of my grandfather who graduated from college in 1951 majoring in chemistry, he always stressed education. I want to do this for him!!

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are one among many. Just go.

Be careful about any degree program that uses "engineering" as an adjective. Don't waste a minute entertaining the idea of entering a program that isn't ABET accredited.

If the school's TV ads say "Credits unlikely to transfer", find another school.

If the school _has_ TV ads, find another school.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Make sure it is ABET accredited - most state schools are and GO FOR IT!!

Four years from now - you just might have your degree - otherwise you will 46 without a degree!!!

There have been similar threads before, take a look.

I could have sworn there had been a couple in the last year or so but a quick search didn't turn them up, did find thread731-166424 though.

Whether it will make economic sense (i.e. pays for itself based on increased earnings) may be debatable. However, you could have a good 20 years in industry after you graduate so who knows.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

RulerRa7,

Remember those courses you passed way back when?

No. You don't. You are going to have re-take them.

I stopped out for a couple of years, and I was assured I did not have to re-take some math courses. Finally, I decided to re-take differential equations. I never worked so hard to get a[ ]D.

Critter.gif
JHG

Do it - you aren't getting any younger. I was 47 when I graduated with a degree in civil engineering. I became a registerd engineer in California early this year.

More than twenty years passed between my first class in calculus and the second class. Physic was the same. I did not repeat any classes. However, it wasn't easy getting "up-to-speed" with a twenty year holiday between courses.

Hokie66,

I thought it would be more difficult to change my handle. Not being in a creative mood, I changed from wannabeEIT to wannabeSE. In California, one must work as a registered Civil Engineer working under an SE for three years to be eligible for the Structural Engineer exams.

First, do it for yourself, not someone else.
Second, do it if it gets you where you want to go.
If you just want to learn some things, or want to prep for classes, try The Great Courses on things like calculus (it is an excellent class). Many are full college lecture series, and are chosen for the quality of instruction.

In 2004, I returned to college full time for a masters, 17 years after my BS. I found that having a worked a full time job for many years, and having run my own businesses, it was easy to go to school and get the work done in good order and on time. But school has always been easy for me.

If you are planning to work and take classes, then examine how much time you really will commit to it. It isn't easy to do. I tried doing video-delivered classes from Auburn around 2001-2, and with a busy travel schedule, I just had to give up when the box of to-be-watched tapes grew too large.

Before you do anything, do an ROI calculation.

There's all sorts of nitwits protesting down on Wall Street right now because they didn't do an ROI calculation on their pointless PhD in Art History or _(fillintheblank)_ Studies, who now have 120k in debt and no way to pay it back because their degree is worthless. A true ABET accredited electrical engineering degree is NOT worthless, but an "Engineering Physics" degree is largely worthless, and a school offering the latter might not have ABET for the former. Watch yourself. Do some research. Be aware that some schools lie about job placement and starting salary, and certain schools are actually starting to get class action lawsuits levied against them for misrepresentation.

We're in the middle of a "Higher Education Bubble" right now, where everyone's training to be a chief and nobody's training to be an Indian. To tell the truth, if I were 40 and looking to completely switch careers, I'd learn some trades and be a small contractor in an area of the country that's rural, retirement heavy, and full of old houses/infrastructure. My dad did quite a bit of that in rural VA off the Chesapeake, until he decided he was too old to continue it a few years ago. He said he could have easily run two crews if he wanted, with the sort of demand that was there.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Return On Investment

Will you make back in increased pay what it costs to get the degree and any lost earning while being a student...

You can try to take into account less tangible aspects too, such as work environment, job security (;-)), job satisfaction...

This is what I was referring to in my 3 Oct 11 15:19 post.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

It's never too late to make good decisions for the right reasons. If you return to school, do it for you not your grandfather. He lived his life and you should live yours. Think long on this subject because EE will require a lot of work. EE is worth it but it is a lot of work. Eng. Physics won't do you much good. Ensure you attend an ABET accredited school.

Pamela K. Quillin, P.E.
Quillin Engineering, LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back