Submersible pump 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabeel3

Mechanical
Dec 14, 2006
SA
Dear All

What are the possible mechanical damages for a centrifugal submersible pump operating in a condition with lesser than the minimum water level, daily 2 hours approximately possibly for two-three months continuously

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cavitation,
Bearing failure
motor over heating

Why?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Dear Little inch
I am in a situation now where i have to run 2-3 submersible pump in such a situation. i plan to install a float switch to solve this issue .

Some pumps can survive dry running or low flow and simple low power units can be pretty robust.

But it really isn't a good idea if they weren't designed for it.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Two issues come to mind:
Vortexing due to low water level, so it will start to suck air and could stop pumping
Motor overheating. Most submersibles are designed so that the water keeps the motor cool. Some are designed with internal recirculation systems so that the pumped water cools the motor, many are not.

What flow and head are required, this makes a big difference to the pump size / selection and the cooling requirements.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back