Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SUBMODELING ISSUES

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktdsrini78

Mechanical
Dec 19, 2004
US
I am having some doubts regarding SUBMODELING in Abaqus.
I am analysing a Beam with bolted joints, and I have defined two element sets and node sets in the global model and I am saving results for those. MY submodeling is driven by the global models, and I am having the same element set and node set, but my element numbers and node numbers in the submodel is different and also the coordinates, however the name of the element set and node set is same.
My question is does the node number have to be same ?
these are the commands I am using
*SUBMODEL,GLOBAL ELSET=elset_name
Node_set
*STATIC
*BOUNDARY,SUBMODEL,STEP=1
Node_set
I appreciate your responses

thanks
Srini

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The node numbering doesn't have to be the same, and I'm not sure why you use the same names for the sets. I tend to use the global model and then from that cut the sub model from it and save that as another model. The cut surfaces are then driven from the global model. To make it simple, you can use all the nodes from the global model to drive the sub-model as values on the cut surfaces of the sub-model are interpolated from the global model results. As a check you should see some similarity between the results of the global model and the sub-model. The similarity is less clear at the sub model boundaries though where the interpolations are carried out from a relatively coarse mesh to the finer sub model mesh.

corus

Thanks Corus for your reply, it helped a lot, I was thinking that we have to use the same nodeset name and element set name, I did a lot of trial and error runs and I have figured out pretty much how it is done,
thanks agian
Srini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back