Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Substation Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any one point to books or publications that deal with substation design. In the past I had to use the REA manual. But this manual I do not believe ever received an update after the 80's. [sig][/sig]

Suggestion:
Current industry standards for substations and the manufacturers' substation literature might be a good and sure start. [sig][/sig]

Suggest you also get a copy of IEEE Std 80, IEEE Guide for Safety in AC Substation Grounding. Make you get the latest edition, just published. [sig][/sig]

I have the standard spread all over, having design information and methods in one place expedites the resolution of issues or even designing items. I was able to browse at one time an ABB Substation book ( For their eyes only ). I can only tell you that it really helps. [sig][/sig]

Suggestion:
Try
Smeaton R. W. "Switchgear and Control Handbook" by McGraw-Hill Book Co. [sig][/sig]

You may want to look at "Standard Electrical Engineering Handbook" by McGrawHill. It has one chapter covering Substation Design [sig][/sig]

The REA guide is probably the best one-stop guide to substation design available outside of taking a substation design course. Other good references would be IEEE Power & Engergy - Substation Standard, as well as the Power & Engergy - Switchgear Standard. The old Westinghouse T&D blue book is a good source, I think ABB sells it on CD-ROM. If you have a more specific question I may be able to help you. [sig][/sig]

The web site for RUS has many of their documents available in a pdf format

The version carried by the RUS Site is from 1978, while the CO OP Association has the Substation Design Book Revised in 1993. The CO OP association will only sale to CO OP's.

Is the manual for sale in a specific place, I tought it was something only available to ABB and very specific customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back