Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Substructuring of 3D models in ANSYS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patyuchenko

Electrical
Aug 4, 2006
DE
Hello,

In order to perform steady state thermal analysis of a large model of a chip I am using substructuring (bottom - up) technique in ANSYS.

But I encountered the following problem:
for substructuring I should have the interface nodes of the superelements (master DOF) at the location of the interface nodes of the adjacent structure (or another adjacent superelement) (within a certain tolerance). It is not a problem in 2D modeling where the interface between the adjacent structures is usualy represented by lines and I can easily assign a desired number of elements per common lines. However I am performing a 3D simulation where not only the lines are the interfaces between the adjacent structures but the areas as well.

I would like to know how can I obtain the same "pattern" of a mesh for interface areas which belong to two adjacent superelements which in their turn are meshed separately from each other (bottom - up substructuring) thus fulfilling the prerequisite of the interface nodes coincidence for the substructuring technique.

May be somebody had the same problem and solved it? I would be very grateful to you for any help.

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

if, the interface areas are identical, you can obtain identical meshes for the them.

First step:

Mesh areas with plane or shell elements of type MESH200 (keyoption as needed)

Second step:

Mesh Volumes as usual

Third step (optional)

Delete MESH200 elements.

Regards,
Alex

Thank you very much Alex for the helpful answer.

Do you know, is it possible to view the nodal solution of the whole structure at once when all the steps of substructuring are finished?

I can see the solution (influenced by the model) for each single superelement separately after the Expansion Pass and the solution for the model also separately (influnced by the superelements) but not everything at once.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards

Anton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back