Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sulfuric Acid Concentration Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

advsign

Chemical
Dec 22, 2006
US
Hello All,
I am trying to locate a chart for looking up sulfuric acid concentration. We have 96% to 98% Sulfuric. I want to take a sample, measure the specific gravity and temperature. Then take this data and with the chart I can find out what strength my Sulfuric is.
All help will be appreciated.
Thank You,
Ken

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

advsign:

My 6th Edition of Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook has a table of sulfuric acid densities versus wt% concentration ranging from 1% to 100% (in increments of 1%) for temperatures ranging from 0 deg C to 100 deg C (in increments of 10 deg C).

I am guessing that later editions probably have the same table.

Milton Beychok
(Visit me at www.air-dispersion.com)

Kindly note that between 0 and 60 Celsius, there is an anomaly attributed to hydrogen bonding, by which 97% acid has a maximum density. Therefore, two solutions, one above and one below 97% may show the same densities.

I imagine that if you have a way to dilute a measured sample of the concentrated acid, with a measured quantity of water, and then take the density of this mix, by the use of tables as those mentioned by mbeychok you'd be able to determine the concentration of the original sample. [smile]

As a follow-up to 25362's posts.....
The specific gravity profile of sulfuric acid flattens out just before that maximum point so other properties (e.g. refractive index, sonic velocity) are usually used in this concentration range. If you intend to mix acid and water samples, please use caution - it is a very exothermic (read that as energetic) reaction.

a conductivity meter properly calibrated is the usual testing protocol, so why not use that instead?

Thanks for the response. I am not a chemical guy at all. What we are doing is trying to dry anhydrous HCl with the sulfuric acid until our moisture is less than 5ppm. Our lab is titrating the sample and getting funny results. Their excuse is the Sulfuric has residual HCl in it and they cannot tell the difference. We have a conductivity meter on order but we wanted to find a way to get us by until it can arrive.

My old employer use to have a chart. The operator would measure the density and temperature and look up the concentration.
Thanks,
Ken

why not just weigh a sample, the weight gain will tell you a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back