Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sun Grid Engine - killing ABAQUS processes (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgoldthorpe

Mechanical
Aug 22, 2002
ES
I asked this question a year ago but unfortunately got no replies. Anyway, I'm trying again. Here's hoping...

...We run ABAQUS on a computer cluster under the Linux operating system. Jobs are submitted to compute nodes on the cluster by the master node using Sun Grid Engine (using the 'qsub' command).

The problem is that deleting a job (by 'qdel') doesn't delete the ABAQUS related processes that are spawned on the appropriate node of the cluster. We need some form of script to identify the ABAQUS processes associated with that job and to kill them. Has anyone got such a script, or can give pointers to where we can get one, or can give any relevant advice?

Thanks (again) in anticipation.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

I donot know about the Sun Grid Engine, but usually when running jobs in clusters, if one of the jobs running in one nodes is killed, then the whole job gets terminated.

So login to the node ( preferably the master node ) and find the process ( use top or ps commands ) kill the process. This is definetly kill the Job. This is what I used to do when I submit jobs using openPBS.

Regards
Guru

Guru,

Thanks for replying, I was getting lonely.

Yes, if do that: logon to the nodes and kill the appropriate ABAQUS processes. However, we have a lot of users and so this is not often done. I'd like some script that does it automatically, so the forgetful user doesn't have 'orphan' processes running on the nodes.

...but learning the Linux is a pain. I think I'll be giving the job to someone else.

By the way Guru, I see you are new here on eng-tips and already making a big impact. Welcome. Your blogspot looks very helpful and rather altruistic.

Warm regards,

MRG

Thank you Goldthorpe.

It is rather exciting to share and learn in an unconvential way. I have learnt quite a bit while trying to answer the posts here.

By the way, I looked at your webpage at analysis demon too. Seems like you have enormous experience in this field. You are infact very benevolent to be answering our questions and helping people like us. Good Job too Goldthorpe!!! Hats off to you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back