Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Super Hydrophobic Spray ON? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

innovatemilestones

Automotive
Jun 20, 2012
I am looking to create a super hydrophobic solution for painted metal surfaces (stainless steel, car paint, etc.). I know that there was a thread posted about this in 2010, and it was incredibly informative.

Certain Trichlorododecylsilane elements are hard to find, and I would like to make a transparent solution to apply to certain substrates. Please let me know if anyone can help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Send an email to Chris, the guy who replied and gave the cool information in that other thread. He should be able to help you find a supplier. If you are serious about this, I'd be thinking about hiring him as a consultant.

btrueblood,

Thank you for the reply. Do you know the best way to contact him? I would be more than happy to reach out to him and see if we can come to terms. I understand that the technology exist currently for superhydrophic application. However, I am looking to get the specific formulation that is "eco-friendly" - chlorine based or fluoro based - spray on polymer that can provide 6 month protection. I have used several different mediums, and I cannot seem to get the proper formulation (either semi-transparent with toxicity too high, or transparent but destroyed upon touch). Please let me know if you know how to reach demon3 as he was the person that appeared to be very privy to this topic. Cheers

PS compositepro. Thank you for the response, but rain-x is specially formulated for windows and ethanol traits can tamper painted substrates on a molecular level damaging gloss effects. I would like to create something specifically for my application. I have used several silanes including trichlorosilane and i am trying to use teflon (PTFE) as well. Again, I know that similar technologies exist currently, but I am looking for something ultra/super hydrophobic as seen in Daikins polymer here :

Demon3,

I have not tried this, but it appears that this would create a milky translucent finish in lieu of completely transparent or glossy finish. This would be perfect if there were a transparent effect by spray application.suggestions?

A lot of the milky versus transparent is down to coating thickness. I'd try commercial products from them (that site and those products have been around 10 years or more that I know of) before trying to create something.

Chris DeArmitt - PhD FRSC CChem
Plastic & Additives Webinars
Instant Downloads & Inexpensive

Hi Chris, thanks for all your informative posts, you say with the silanes you use a hydrocarbon solvent like heptane or hexane - would an alcohol like methanol work as a solvent also?

Thanks
Ben

Alcohols should be OK with certain types of organosilane (trimethoxy or triethoxy silanes) as those form alcohol anyway as they react.

I used trichlorosilanes because they are much more reactive than the above. You should not use alcohols as solvents for them because they will react with the alcohol to make products that react less well with your surface.

Chris DeArmitt - PhD FRSC CChem
Plastic & Additives Webinars
Instant Downloads & Inexpensive

Hi Chris, thanks for that, I have a small vile of Octadecyltrichlorosilane so I guess Alcohol is not the best. I'll have a look around for hexane? I'm quite excited and cant wait to have a play with it. Any thing specific to look out for when handling/mixing/applying?

Thanks again

Chris,

Take a look over in the paint/coatings forum, there is a guy there asking about a clear/opaque transitioning polymer. I seem to recall you had a patent on one such idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back