Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SuperMarket Floor Loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrStructuralEng

Structural
Aug 9, 2007
CA
Background: I am designing a structural concrete slab floor for a new supermarket/grocery store.

Does anyone know where I can find design recommendations for supermarket (grocery store) floor loading. I am assuming around 150 psf for the common area and around 200 psf for the storage/warehouse area. I am also trying to find some information on typical shelving unit loading in a grocery store for line loading.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is always good in questions like this to identify your country or location, as the answers vary. Remember, this is an international forum.

In Australia, we have lots of enclosed shopping centres with supermarkets incorporated in the centres, as opposed to the stand alone supermarkets common in other countries. In most cases, the supermarket operators actually specify minimum loading, which is usually 5 kPa (100 psf) in the shopping area and 15 kPa (300 psf) in the back of shop storage area. Our loading code specifies these loads to be a minimum of 4 kPa for the shop floor and 4.5 kPa/metre height or 15 kPa minimum in cold storage areas.

I would check with the local building code in the area where the store will be located. They ususally list the appropriate design load information

Like hookie, I am working in Australia and will assume 100psf equals 5kPa (maybe North America should accept the metric system, but that is for another forum).

I have designed a shopping centre recently with two supermarket floors. One a large Australian retailer required 7.5kPa (150psf) trading floor and 12.5kPa (250psf) back of house.

The other was a European retailer (Aldi??) and they required a 10kPa (200psf) live load everywhere and a 1.5kPa (30psf) superimposed dead load.

Both retailers provided floor plans and design specifications that gave design loadings. All these loadings are above the minimum design loadings in AS1170.1 (Australian loading codes).

Just a question, are you core-filling block wall partitions for your design. I'm unsre whether to core-fill or leave hollow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back