Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Supplier of Fiber Glass Internal Floating roof for storage tanks? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teddyl

Petroleum
Jul 18, 2003
CN
Anyone who can point me to the right direction of the above issue? I am interested in finding the cost and design differences (pros-v.s.-cons) between conventional pontoon style IFR and the full contact fiber glass one.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

API does not recognize the non-metallic version of the full-contact floating roof. The best full-contact floating roof out there is Allentech's which is seal welded aluminum. It is exceedingly strong and buoyant. Try sales@allentech.com

I do not agree with IFR regarding API. Maybe I missread them, but for me, nowhere is stated that non-metallic versions of full-contact decks are not recognised.

API used to reference non-metallic floating roofs in API 650 appendix H but removed all references in the latest edition. Aluminum floaters have a much longer and extremely successfull history than fiberglass. Contact sales@allentech.com for the best aluminum IFRs.

I have a vested interest in this matter as my company design and manufacture internal floating decks - metallic, non-metallic, pontoon and full contact type, therefore if you would like to contact me directly I will advise you accordingly. Contact:-quinn@dunedin.fsbusiness.co.uk

API 650 H is not intended to restrict competition in any way but to ensure quality and safety. In the standard it says "Types of internal floating roofs and materials are provided as a basic guide and shall not be considered to restrict the purchaser option of employing other commonly accepted or alternative designs, as long as all design loading is documented to meet the minimum requirements herein...." The standard is reviewed and modified by a committe consisting of individuals from both sides of industry, manufacturing and end users. I can only assume that it is possible that some designs do not receive the same exposure as others due to geographics. With this said the API requires that ever inquiry or comment be reviewed. It would be the manufacturers responsibility to ensure that the API is aware of all designs and that they be included accordingly assuming they meet the design requirements.

There are sandwich panel / composite floating roofs on the market that do meet the API requirements although API does not specifically reference them. It is my understanding that this issue has been brought forward to the API committee and reference will be made in the next API revision.

If you have any further questions regarding full surface contact aluminum composite floating roofs please feel free to contact me A ryan@sandborn.ca

If you want full contact floating roof, made from seal welded aluminum honeycomb composite panels contact sales@allentech.com

I believe information on FRP internal floating roof can be found in Above Ground Storage Tank Forum or contact enquiries@dynaglass.com.sg.
API 650-H deals with non-metalic types IFR and is being updated by committee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back