Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Supporting a brick chimney using ceiling joists

Status
Not open for further replies.

2code

Specifier/Regulator
Jan 9, 2006
US
In Williamsburg Virginia,close-to Historic Colonial Area, I have been asked to retain the decorative exterior features of a brick chimney. In doing so, I plan to support this 18" by 30" by 12' high brick chimney in attic space using 1/2" X 3" X 4" lintels (bolted together)and made to surround the perimeter of brick facing. This frame and chimney section would then be supported with 2-sets of triple pressure-treated 2X12" joists, bolted together with 1/2" bolts staggered every 30" over a 11-8' span to create beams to carry this load with (6) 2X4" vertical studs (per side) Frame 1-story residential dwelling has classic a-frame 10/12 slope roof. The chimney will be removed underneath the new beam shoring to permit the installation of stack washer/dryer in previous chimney location. Will this work or should I consider shoring a shorter chimney via rafters/frame cradle system to point loading areas? What is the estimated weight of this chimney section? We are in a 90 mph wind zone.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I recommend you hire a professional structural engineer in your area. We cannot give you an answer to "will it work" questions. That is not only a violation of ethics and professional conduct but is not the purpose of this website.

agree with UcfSE. there is a statement in the code regarding the use of wood to support brick. basically, don't. A professinal engineer needs to review the conditions and determine if what you want to do is affected by the code provisions.

The problem with wood supporting masonry has to do (in part) with the tendency of wood materials to dry and shrink and thereby causing "settlement" of a part of the masonry. The IRC allows wood to support masonry provided that all of the masonry that is supported on wood is isolated from the masonry that is supported on other masonry or steel.
It sounds like the chimney is only being "saved" for the portion above the ceiling. It may be that only flashing isues are affected by this choice of materials. I'm curious about why PT materials are used. Perhaps because of some contact with masonry concerns.
Regarding the question of "will this work" it is important to understnad what is meant by the expression. There is the consideration that I have identified and the consideration of the structural capacity of the support components. In the latter case, I agree, it is best to have this reviewed by a professional. Vertical loads are one consideration. Lateral stability of the (remaining) chimney and the overall effect of this modification on the building are other considerations. I would expect that a qualified engineer should examine the conditions as a way to identify any and all concerns.

UcfSE and archeng59, I trust that this reply is not out of place.

From quick overview, having triple 12" joist seemed to be an over kill but I'm not clear on the situation. Also, you said, "1/2" X 3" X 4" lintels" and I can only assume you plan on using L 3 X 4 X 1/2. Lintels are used to support the structure above the openings such as doors and windows. You application for the angles sounds like more of the bracing than anything else.

Therefore, I agreed with others by recommending you retain a service from a licensed Profession Engineer to properly secure the structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back