Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suppress dimension extension lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayden

Mechanical
Jul 31, 2002
NZ
I often have a need to suppress dimension extension lines after I have created the dimension. This means I can't use the sustem variable DIMSE1 (/2). I'm also getting a bit peeved with all the necessary mouse picks to use the properties dialogue box.
Is there a command to suppress dim ext lines on selected dims.
Also is there a command for tolerance editing. Again, the multiple mouse picks are driving me mad.

Thanks in advance,

Hayden

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Hayden,

can You create a 2nd dimstyle without dimension extension lines?

Lothar

Win NT4.0(SP6),2000(SP3)
AC 2000i(SP2), ADT 3.0(SP3),
AC 2002, ADT 3.3,
AC 2004, ADT 2004

Thanks Lothar,

I tried that on but all my dims are toleranced, differently. When I did that my tols got messed up.

There must be a way as the command exists, in properties and as a system variable.

Even if I could record the mouse picks in a macro, like excel that would be great. I could then create an icon. But alas, you can't record macros in ACAD, unless I'm missing something. I don't want to go learning all the VB commands for back end stuff just now.

Hayden

Not really a solution, but it's a quick fix until you can work out something more permanent. Depending on how your arrowheads, etc. are set up, you can click on the dimension to highlight it, then just drag the grip for the end of the extension line back up perpendicular to the dim line. Sometimes, it completely gets rid of the extension line, sometimes it leaves a small one. Without seeing what you have set, I couldn't say which it would do, so you'd have to give it a try to see.

Bad part, is you have to do that for every dimension. Good part, it doesn't really change any settings for the dim, so tolerances and everything else should stay the same.

Also, remember that if the dimensions get stretched to another location, to make sure that the endpoint gets grabbed also, or the extension line will show up again. It isn't supressed, just there with a minimum length.

The Properties box will allow you to suppress individual dimension extension lines.

Are you using DIMSTYLES to define your TOLERANCEs?

No all dimensions are done using the same style. Tolerances are modified afterwards. We have about 100,000 (ok, slight exaggeration) different tolerance groups so creating a style for each just isn't a happening thing.
I can't understand how modifying things in the properties dialogue box can exist, yet there are no functions to do this quickly with useful things like macros.

Soldiering on,

Hayden

;;; Before executing this routine create two dimension styles that control DIMSE1 (2) or other DIM variables.
;;; "Left_Style_Name" and "Right_Style_Name" are the dimension style names. They have to be named with the same name as in Dimension Style Manager table.

(defun c:dim_changer()
(setq smatmuo nil
matmuo nil
i 0)
(gc)
(prompt "\nSelect dimensions: ")
(setq smatmuo (ssget '((0 . "DIMENSION"))))
(if (not smatmuo)
(prompt "\nThere is no selection set!")
(repeat (sslength smatmuo)
(setq matmuo (cons (ssname smatmuo i) matmuo)
emat (cons (entget (ssname smatmuo i)) emat)
i (1+ i))
))
;; set style
(initget "Left Right")
(setq raide (getkword "\nEnter an option [Left style/Right style]: "))
(if (= "Left" raide)
(foreach n emat
(progn
(setq n (subst (cons 3 "Left_Style_Name") (assoc 3 n) n)) ;change a name here.
(entmod n))))
(if (= "Right" raide)
(foreach n emat
(progn
(setq n (subst (cons 3 "Right_Style_Name") (assoc 3 n) n)) ;change a name here.
(entmod n))))
(if (= nil raide)
(prompt "\nNothing to do!")))
(defun c:dch()
(c:dim_changer))

Hope this helps,
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back