Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

surface by boundary to a solid part?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng1234

Mechanical
Nov 21, 2003
US
Just completed a multi surfaced part by created a 3D wire frame to create several individual surfaces. I than thought once I had all my individual surfaces (surface by boundary wireframe) that I could simply use the stitch command to fix each of these surfaces together, wrong. NO erros in the display window, but after the stitch command is done processing, it states no stitched edges. Further more I have checked the entire part and all edges are free edges.

Any ideas how I can make this a solid part?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How are you using the stitch command? Are you using RMB pick all, or selecting the free edges individually?

Try this:

Show free edges
RMB all
done
Stitch

You can also stitch two overlapping edges by selecting them after you hit the stitch command. You may need to position the mouse over different sections of the curve to get Ideas to recognize both free edges.

Once you have all free edges cleaned up, you will have a solid part.

You can also try by deleting one surface, then using surface by boundary or mesh of curves to recreate the surface.

Either was, you should be able to stitch the edges.

Good luck.
Mike

You can use Match Edge to pull non-coincident edges together.

It would be better though to create your geometry initially without these gaps. Perhaps each surface you create adjacent to another should be stitched at that point and then you get a chance to fix what is going wrong at that time rather than wait until all the surfaces are created.

Another way to get you surfaces to stitch would be to increase the system tolerance, but this is not recommended unless you understand the down-stream effects of doing this.

Thanks for the Match Edge tip, RCDLtd. I haven't tried that command yet, and don't know where it's located yet.

eng1234: Similar to what RCDLtd mentioned, you could perhaps create and stitch the surfaces piecemeal, using the existing surface edges as some of the surface by boundary (sbb) sides for the next surface. For any non-edge sides, create wireframe -- and I think you need to attach the wireframe to the surfaces part using Attach (row 1, column 3) before performing sbb, if I recall. And it might matter whether you pick an edge or wireframe as the first sbb side, but I don't remember whether or not that's still true, so perform Help on Context on sbb to see if they mention something like that (and please let us know if you find any tips or tricks).

Because I find sbb not robustly updatable (since its wireframe has little or no relations, I think), I tend to try to avoid sbb, if possible, and instead use two Extrudes (or perhaps a Loft), if practical.

Thanks for the tips on stitching the surfaces. I was initially trying to stitch the indivudual surface together one by one, after they were all created. Wasn't sure of the benefit of stitching at the time of creation, but I can try.

I will also try tne show free edges, RMB, select all, stitch and see how that works.

This is truly a great forum to share software informaiton and things to try, thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back