Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surface finish for glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidon

Mechanical
Jul 4, 2007
SI
I have a question- my company is producing with measurement glass that has to be grinded very precisely. Now I've measured that we need additional treatment to get from 15 um (0,015 mm) to 10um (0,01 mm) without doing any damage to the surface. We are talking about mass production - this isnt a one time job.
What kind of surface treatment do you recommend. The only thing I came up was etching, but frankly I just dont like the idea.

Thanks

Vid Golob
Research and developement
Iskra Tela d.d.
Cesta dveh cesarjev 403
1000 Ljubljana
Slovenia

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I couldnt agree more. I tried to tell my boss that the problem lies with the glass we originally get, but he seems to disagree so I have to find a diferent solution. thanks anyway

I am confused by how you manage to get glass that has 15 um roughness. Seems to me that it should almost be impossible to get that. Standard window glass has sufficient smoothness to make reflections, which requires way better than 15 um roughness.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Heres the thing - we grind the glass to get 15 um roughness.
But for our buyer that just isnt enough - this glass serves as reading glass ( sort of a pathway ) for a measuring device which means that a reading unit is driving on it and that reading unit requires +/- 10 um roughness.
Before you ask - I dont know why they dont change the reading device etc.

My perplexion wasn't about your grinding, but how you could buy glass that was rougher than that.

Again, standard window glass is way smoother than that, why not use that?

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Standard window glass wont do because we put chrome into glass (lets say its in the middle of it) so our glass is custom made ( only with the addition of chrome is this glass proper reading glass ). Because no glasshouse in our country can provide this kind of service, it is done in a laboratory. I think the problem lies there, but it looks like were going to have to live with that and find another solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back