Surface from 2 closed curves 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupen

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2014
SI
Hello to all.

For an injection mould I am reverse engineering a cylinder in a tool. After scanning the end injected plastic part we make correction in tool to make it as cylindrical as possible.
To do that I am using points from which I make a closed spline (using fit curve command). Now I have 2 closed splines wich I would like to make a ''cylindrical'' like type of surface.
2023-08-21_08_23_51-NX2007s_DAG-Januar_2022_-_Modeling_kap7dk.png

I am wondering what would be the best way. If I use command Through Curves I get a surface that is concave on cross section (using Aligment by arc length).
2023-08-21_08_27_11-NX2007s_DAG-Januar_2022_-_Modeling_vanywp.png

I can correct that using point alignment and matching points as close as I can but this is not mathematically exact.
2023-08-21_08_30_16-NX2007s_DAG-Januar_2022_-_Modeling_m1z0xl.png

So I am wondering is there I we to use an alignment (or perhaps another command) so it takes closest points from each others curve?

Thanks in advance
Luka

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why not use a 3-point circle based on the evenly spread points on one spline then extrude that circle between the datum planes to create a true cylinder?

Because that was the hole point. This 2 curves are not circles but constructed curves from points of a scan.
A critical surface that should be cylinder on a moulded part is scanned, from this scan we design a surface that is the opposite of the resulted surface. This is than applied and machined in mould. At end we get a nearly perfect cylinder on molded part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back