Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surface Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViniciusV

Mechanical
Apr 16, 2012
Hello everybody,

I'm modeling a cam in NX 7.5. I just finished it and I attached a picture of it so you can understand what I'm trying to do.

If you notice in the middle surface, there are a lot of "cuts", thats why I did it by subtracting different solid bodys during it's rotation and interference with the body it will actually actuate.

What I want to do, and can't find how, is how to transform all those "cuts" into one surface.

I was also thinking an easier way to design that cam profile, which is a bit different from the usual. I want to know if it is possible to do the following and how. I have an expression that defines every point of the cam profile, how can I use this expression to automaticaly draw, maybe spline points or something, and then just extrude.

Thanks for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you know the equations that drive the surface, you can use law curves to generate a spline which you can then use to generate your surface. Search the help files and this forum for "law curve" and you will find some good information.

To work with what you currently have, extract some points off of your surface (use the minimum required to get the shape you want) and use those to generate a spline (spline through points). You can then replace the original cuts with one created by the spline.

www.nxjournaling.com

Maybe first try:
Insert -> Trim -> Join face (on same surface) . . .
To see if that helps anything.
It's hard to tell from the pic if it will.

I'd also recommend analyzing the spline using the curvature comb - that will give you a visual aid for the smoothness of your resulting spline (cam profile). Regardless of whether the spline passed through all the points, I would adjust based on the comb, which might allow for a smoother roll.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 7.5.4.4 MP2
WinXP Pro x64 SP2
Intel Xeon 2.53 GHz 6GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back