Surface offset issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

AminKB

Bioengineer
Sep 23, 2020
GB
Hi,

I've been using SOLIDWORKS to work on a design created in CATIA. What I'm trying to do is to create several surface offsets from one side of the rod-like shape I have.
That side I'm trying to offset is made up of three different surfaces. So, I knit the surfaces (using merge as well) and extend the edges outwards then offset. But the offset is distorting the connection between two of the knitted surfaces and I end up with an error saying the surface has self-intersected and can't be offset!
Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to share any part of the geometry.
I'm interested in
1- why does surface offset cause this issue?
2- what is the purpose of knitting surfaces together if their boundaries end up moving with respect to each other anyway?
3- how can I remove all these features separating the faces?

Thanks,
Amin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like you have errors in the original model that you have not fixed or repaired, or you have repaired the model, but still have General Faults. All these things will cause weird phenomena when using Surfaces. Maybe you just need to create the surfaces using sketches or something.

Another solution would be to import the model in and not knit or turn the model into a body and manually turn all the imported surfaces into a body and see if that fixes your issue. I have done that a lot, but its time consuming, and its no guarantee.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Mechanical Engineer
Ciholas

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back