Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surface tractions parallel to element face

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzrobe

Mechanical
Apr 26, 2006
US
Hi all,

I have an ABAQUS question that seemed simple, but so far I have been unable to get a definitive answer. Does ABAQUS has a method for just applying loads on the faces of elements that are parallel to that face, a surface traction? All of the distributed load options I read about in the Theory manual and Users guides use pressures that only act normal to the surface, or they involve fluid flow problems of some sort.

I'm just working with a simple bicycle pedal crank model, 3D solid 10 node tets, and I wanted to simulate the load from the chain by applying loads to the outer surface of my "chainring". A distributed surface load that acts parallel to the surface seemed the easiest, but I can't seem to find anthing about it.

Barring this I guess I have to calculate out individual forces for each of the nodes and apply them one by one.

Thanks for any ideas,
-Andrew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Aha,

It must be because I am using ABAQUS 6.3.1, which evidently doesn't support that option. It doesn't appear in the module lists, and section 16.9.5 is about beam element orientation, so my documentation is also out of date.

I'll have to see if I can get an update somehow. Thanks for your help,
-Andrew

Wizzrobe

If you can't get an update then Roshaz will do this for you. You can not do this by hand and get it right as the correct procedure involves element shape functions to determine the equivalent nodal forces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back