Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW08 Strange graphics and crashing problems 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lumenharold

Mechanical
Sep 6, 2006
US
I have been having problems with assembly files that open fine sometimes and other times open in a low resolution or cause SW to crash. None of the problems are consistant from file to file nor do they always appear in the same files. I can open an assembly that looks low rez and then open a sub-assembly and it will look great. I tried to set the resolution for "all parts" with the assembly in the tools settings and my OpenGL check box is now checked and grayed out.

I have a Dell 690 with a Quadro FX 4600. The SW site lists the approved driver for the Dell as ...9777 but for the same card under nVidia as ...9778. I have 9777 installed as a suggestion from my VAR.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The crashing and slow rotation speed with the SpacePilot is a drag. Thanks.

Harold
SW2008 SP1.0 OPW2008 SP0.0

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Harold,
Several of our computers would crash within 2 minutes.
To fix our problem we are disabling indexing Service in services.msc in the Start, run dialog.
Also we disable Windows Search in services.msc in the Start, run dialog.
When we start SolidWorks we have both boxes in PDMWorks Workgroup 2008 unchecked in Add-ins. Then when we start SolidWorks we have to turn on the PDMWorks Workgroup 2008 “Active Add-ins” button only. We do not ever start PDMWorks Workgroup 2008 when starting SolidWorks automatically anymore. Only the manual turn on.

Our SolidWorks 2008 sp1.1 does not crash at all for about an hour now.
Our VAR told us this is an issue they are working on with SolidWorks. The VAR came up with this workaround.

Bradley
SolidWorks Pro 2008 x64 SP1.1
PDM Works, Dell XPS Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

Thanks Bradley. I have been starting SW with my Optis Add-in turned off then turning it on when needed. The crashes were still happening. I disabled the indexing and Windows Search as you suggested. It will take a few open and close cycles through out the day to know the effect. I'll be working the weekend so by Monday afternoon I'll be able to tell.

Thanks again.

Harold
SW2008 SP1.0 OPW2008 SP0.0

Harold,
Are you using Lotus Notes?

Bradley
e-mail is Lotus Notes

No. My PC came loaded with MS Office Outlook 2007. It doesn't always start up properly either and comes up with a message about the Add-in software I am running which I am guessing is the Palm Zire and Chapura software.

Harold
SW2008 SP1.1 OPW2008 SP0.1

The reason I asked is because I am not running Lotus Notes on the PC I use for SolidWorks. Those here that are running Lotus Notes will crash SolidWorks if PDM is checked in add-ins within SolidWorks. I have my PDM turned on to start automatically and SolidWorks does not crash.

Bradley
e-mail is Lotus Notes

Thanks for the tip anyway Bradley. Just for "fun" I purchased the upgrade for the Chapura software to see if the OutLook crashes will go away. Opened three SW files before SW crashed so I'd say they are not related.

Harold
SW2008 SP1.1 OPW2008 SP0.1

I just upgraded to SW2008 SP2.0. My first task was was preparing DXFs and drawings from existing parts, but it was crashing every 1.5 drawings or so. I tried shutting off the windows search indexing as per Bradley's suggestion above and it hasn't crashed since, through the remaining 25 drawings. The internet is the greatest thing ever. Thanks Brad......

Robin

ps. I'm running SW2008 on a 2GB RAM MacBook Pro under Parallels. Amazingly, it works fine, though slows down for larger drawings so I'm getting another PC with a hot rod video card. It runs at least as fast as the year old windows laptops around here. Anyway, don't let anyone tell you it won't work!

That is excellent Robin. I'm glad you posted your results as I owe Anna a star as well. My graphics issues have been taken care of by uninstalling the IntelliPoint package.

Unfortunately the crashes are still happening. The only pattern I notice is that it happens when opening an assembly, not a part, and not a sub-assembly from within an assembly tree, and not a drawing. It also does not happen twice in a row. At least I'm not losing any data.

Harold
SW2008 SP2.0 OPW2008 SP0.1

Spacepilot drivers shouldn't be a problem other than having functionality reduced in newer driver versions which is why I have a lot of older ones. The crashes that Jeff "JMirisola" is referring to are only caused by mice and usually by Microsofft drivers.

Use Logitech Mice I've never had any problems with those. The Side Scroll Mouse wheel ones are especially nice.

Also removing the unnecessary tasks is great most of them start with MS or have unintelligible names. you can also use msconfig to remove items from the Start tab so they don't auto launch. Sometimes the mouse drivers will use settings like MMB = Auto Scroll which can cause funky behavior so make sure it's set to Middle Button.

Another thing that comes to mind might be the Preselect or Dynamic Highlight options causing issues. Maybe using the Selection Filter may help especially in Assembly mode.

Michael

[jester]

Thanks Michael. Any experience or preference with the Logitech wired or wireless? I have one of each to try.

I have to say the I really like the ergonomics of the MS Natural mouse. Between the mouse and the SpacePilot my wrists/forearms have never felt more relaxed.

Harold
SW2008 SP2.0 OPW2008 SP0.1

Unplugged the MS Natural mouse wireless receiver and plugged in a Logitech MX500 mouse. No change in the pattern of crashes. Did I miss something?

Harold
SW2008 SP2.0 OPW2008 SP0.1 Win XP Pro 2002 SP2
Dell 690, Xeon 5160 @3.00GHz, 3.25GB RAM
nVidia Quadro FX4600

System:
Dell Precision PWS490
Intel Xeon CPU 2x5140@233GHz
4.00 GB RAM
nVidia Quadro FX3500 with latest SW certified driver
Microsoft Windows XP Pro x64 Version 2003 SP1
Microsoft USB Wireless Intellimouse Explorer with basic Windows driver

SolidWorks 2008 x32 SP2.0

Installed SW2008 a week ago. No problems, no crashes so far. I love it.

This is a pretty old thread but I thought I should update in case it would help anyone else with a similar problem. My crash issue is under control - no crashes when opening assembly files for three weeks. Most significant change seems to be SP3.0 but it may be all of the changes made along the way.

Changes made including the suggestions in this thread were:
Latest 3DConnections drivers
Uninstalled the IntelliMouse software
Disabled the Windows search
Updated my nVidia driver from the SW recommended 9777 to 6255 per my VAR
Ran the Conversion Wizard (twice)
Installed SP3.0

I am starting SW with my Add-in "on" and I am still using my SpacePilot although the special characters are not working correctly (to be fixed I understand).

Life is good.

Harold
SW2008 SP3.0 OPW2008 SP0.1 Win XP Pro 2002 SP2
Dell 690, Xeon 5160 @3.00GHz, 3.25GB RAM
nVidia Quadro FX4600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back