SW2013 OpenGL (?) issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

pamakela

Mechanical
Dec 19, 2011
FI
Hi,

I've installed SolidWorks 2013 on my Lenovo W530 work laptop (it has Quadro K1000M chip as well as a Intel 4000 chip) and I experience a lag problem whenever I manipulate the OpenGL view. Thus I think this is a display driver or hardware related issue.

Whenever I rotate, zoom or pan in the model display view, everything works smoothly. But when I stop doing any of these, there is a significant lag before SW becomes usable again. During this lag, the cursor remains in the manipulation mode, ie. the arrows when you rotate the view. This lag is around 5 seconds..

This lag problem apparently makes working in SW unbearable. I installed the certified NVidia driver but that didn't fix anything. Also I disabled anti-aliasing and anything that is just "candy". Is there a known issue between SW2013 and my laptop model? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Honestly the W500 series PC's IMHO were never the best at running SW. All my tests always showed they were slower and had some lag in both in CPU and video. I still find that the Dell M class PC's are better. Just bought 2 M6800 for right around $2500 each. I know that's more than the W500 series, but you get what you pay for in my opinion.

You might try updating the video card driver, but from your description it sounds like the CPU is lagging behind and causing your problem. What CPU and how many cores are there? Of course SW doesn't use more than 1 core which is one of the best complaints to date. You could try dedicating a single core to just Solidworks. You can do that from within the Task manager, right click on the sldworks.exe and select "Set affinity" and check mark the CPU, of course you need more than one.

Otherwise you might try calling your VAR or Lenovo and ask them what is causing the lag.

Hope that helps,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Gryphon Environmental
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back