Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Swap elements in asy by file poperties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Jun 6, 2010
PL
Hello Experts!!

I would like to kindly ask you how ,or is it even possible, to automatically swap elements in asembllies SE ST 5 . Let me describe my horrible problem.
I have many huge assemblies consists some "old" standard elements. These 3d elements are placed in many folder locations, but in one folder named A. I would like to swap these elements by new ones, but all located in folder B.

The swap recognition of particullar file is defined by file properties>project>project name.

Is it possible to automatically swap these elements by this data? May you help me with the code?

Thanks a lot!!

G. Wit

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the file names are the same, but in different folders, there is a tool in Revision Manager (aka Review and Markup) that you can use to

REDEFINE LINKS

Search the Help for "Redefining Links" and see if that tool will work for you.

--Scott
www.wertel.pro

Hello!!

Thank you for your respond. Unfortunatelly I knew about this option however its not solving my terrible issue.

I have never wrote code for SE but I thhink its possible to swap elements by file properties automaticaly..

Guys, Any ideas or hints?

I don't know how much data you are looking at modifying but yes this could be implemented programmatically but there is time investment to develop a program to do this. Will the time spent to implement a programmatic solution be greater than time spent just doing this activity manually? Sometimes an intern pushing buttons manually can be a lot cheaper solution in both time and money than a programmer implementing an automated solution.

Again without knowing all the specifics, the Solid Edge Data Prep tools could also potentially be a method to achieve your goal.

David,

Thank you for double feedback:smileyhappy: I estimate swap all this elements would take half of year for 3 persons, on the 2nd hand I dont know how much cost the outsourced code..anyway
May you, or somebody else?, have some access how to program in SE??

I will be really highly appreciate for any help or any guidelines!!

Redefine links can be quite powerfull, we use it a lot in order to replicate machines and swap elements. Are you sure it can't suit your needs? You can even play with the first letters of the filenames involved as part of the path, which gives more options when replacing.

In any case, writing an app which makes the replacement would cost much less than half a year, for sure!

If you have (or can create) a txt file / excel with the required replacements (something like path A [space] path B [newline] and so on...) it's quite easy have solid edge scan all your assemblies and change references following that file information.

Also, getting into Solid Edge SDK is always a good idea. As long as someone in your company gets into it, you'll be able to automate more processess you could ever think. The only problem is that documentation is a bit sparse, and you'll need a lot of patience. I'm playing with that stuff these months, and that's my opinion, hehe.

However, you musy also wonder if new parts will requiere to edit assembly relationships once placed in your assemblies. If they have been created from old ones with grat care about deleting or replacing surfaces you shouldn't have no problems.; if you created them from scratch, you'll have to edit relationships manually for all of them, which, according to your time stimations, will be your worst nightmare ever.

Hope this helps.

Hello!!

Redefine links for single each element taking more time than replace group of elements (the same elements) in asy for sure!
Yes, new elements created in different planes than old one causes constrain problems. I think I can not skeep this issue since new elements has been created and already used.
Unfortunately, no single person operates SE SDK in my company so I would like to be the first anyway I have some skills in excel VBA.

I think I am able to preper excel sheet with your suggestion but I need to check it, however, If I deliver this file may you help me or give me some guidelines?

Thank you.

I've tried to use link fix-up tool like SE help says:
- auto fill in the template datapreputilitiestemplate.xlsm by run analyze tool for unmanaged/insight which creates file paths and other properties. Then edit this excel file by delete non consider rows (I tried both-also with all considered folder files) and add paths in column C and D only for my swap elements.
- run link fix-up tool by choose 2nd window option: activate pre-st link fix-up button, since 1st option "can not determine start location for old file names form selected spreadsheet". Maybe beacuse I have ordered (pre-synchronous?) models ? Anyhow, I browse my .xlsm file, locate SE folder, pick all document types and excel search method...Finished processing !!! and..no file replacement in my assy file. What Im doing wrong then beacause Im really confused?

Any answers will be highly appreciate !
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back