Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sweep along guide 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanxXx

Aerospace
May 14, 2009
Hi,

i was wondering 2 things..

1 is it possible to sweep a solid along a guide string, or just curves?

and 2 (just to be cheeky) how do i set the swept feature to stay in its orientation when sweeping, i.e. i dont want it to be normal to the surface it sweeps along, but stay in the orientation it was created in eg parallel to a datum plane.

Im using NX4, thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Something worth noting, although you cannont sweep a solid along a guide, using your selection intent, you can select the face edges of a solid and sweep that along a guide, this means you don't have to extract the curves or create another set of curves that are identical to the section you already have. I see far to many instances where users have created unnecessary geometry when they could have used geometry that is there for free. :)

Best regards

Simon NX4.0.4.2 MP10 - TCEng 9.1.3.6.c - (NX6.0.3.6 MP2 native)

Life shouldn't be measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of times when it's taken away...

Thanks again for that, i was more trying to replicate the metal removal that a milling cutter would create, a one with say a 10mm shank tapering down with a 70 deg angle to a 5mm ball nose. Sweeping the 2d curves along the guide gives me different geometry than the actual cutter would. I thought i may be able to model the cutter as the tool, sweep along the guide and subtract the resultant solid. Thus giving me the geometry i know i can machine.

I have had this same problem in I-Deas trying to get this exact geometry. I have some tricks in I-Deas that gets this to work out some what. The problem I have is having the Geometry coming in tangent to the tapered ball nose end mill. What type of path is your cutter going?

SDETERS I have one path that is just straight along a face stopping say halfway and the other is along a face then moving away from the face along a radius then an angle. If that makes sense... cant really post any images as it is work "work" and i might have my fingers rapped if i get caught. ill try and replicate it somehow.

You may never ever get it exactly right in all cases, but in many cases you can get pretty close if you're willing to work at it. You wouldn't necessarily wish to try for more than a shortish section of a cutter path either.

The attached contains a couple of NX-5 files one of which is an assembly, and the other is just an NPT thread form. You'll see from these that if you're able to construct a section and four trajectory curves, being three guides and a spine curve, then you'll get as good a result as you might ever wish for.

Good luck with it, and do think about your milling cutter profiles as you proceed since it seems to me that any ball nosed profile ought to be do-able.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=63e502ce-71fb-4e14-98d9-bc69f85f1512&file=Stud_end_asm.rar
@ Hudson,

could you please be so kind to attach an zip file instead of the rar file , i'm not able to unrar at work.

Thank you in advance.

Greetings

Best regards,

Michäël.

NX4.0.4.2 MP10 / TCE 9.1.3.8_build_0711 / NX6.0.2.8 / NX7.0.0.9

Belgium

Hudson thank you very much,

i know about the winrar or 7-zip, but we have a tight IT policy at the factory. Only aproved software is allowed to install. Even if you need to send large files to customers, i have to pull a trick on it, no change to get something like FTP on my desktop :-(.

But on the other hand its also good like this, for ex. the conficker outbrake last year has passed us thanks to the strict policy.

Anyway thanks for posting the zip file.

Greetings

Best regards,

Michäël.

NX4.0.4.2 MP10 / TCE 9.1.3.8_build_0711 / NX6.0.2.8 / NX7.0.0.9

Belgium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back