Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sweep Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWT330

Computer
Oct 28, 2009
US
Trying to use the sweep command and cannot figure out the error (below). I've created a rectangular path with radius corners. Perpendicular to it is the L-shaped profile.

Create sweep feature failed
Housing.ipt: Errors occurred during update
Sweep1: Could not build this Sweep
Sweep resulted in a self-intersection

Would this be a problem with the path or the profile?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could have a tangent edge where a radius meets a line and there is a small overhang. Hard to say without the file. Can you attach it? And tell us what version you are using?

Thank you for responding. You are exactly right about the radius. I had added radii to my path sketch which had a small overhang. Not sure what I did to cause it because it is a simple shape. I am a new user trying to decide if Inventor Suite 2010 is the right purchase.

I am new to Inventor and am having trouble grasping one aspect of sweep. Everything I read describes the sketch profile of the sweep to be at an intersecting plane of the path. I am having trouble drawing the profile on the plane required. Is this drawn in the 2D sketch window?

Your path can be 2D or 3D depending on requirements. You will need two sketches, one for your profile and one for your path. The path does not have to be on the centre of your profile, just a convenient reference point.

Your profile may be anywhere along the path, so you may find it easy to create a sketch plane based on your path. Select a point anywhere on your path and then select the path (line), this will create a sketch plane normal to the path. Now create a sketch on this plane and draw your profile. Be sure to project that point, that you used to create your plane, through onto your sketch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back