Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sweep or loft 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

atama

Industrial
Jul 31, 2007
IL
Hi, I want to make a sweep that has different profiles, i.e. gets "thin" and "fat" . Is there a way of doing this with a sweep, or do I have to create a complicated loft to achieve what I want? I'm attaching a pic of the path and profiles so my question is understood.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

atama,

I'd do it with a loft. You cannot have multiple sections in a sweep, although you could try to control it with guide curves.

As you have the sketches defined, you could do a centerline loft without adding any new curves.

-b

You will need to create and use Guide Curves which trace the path of matching points around the circular profiles.

Whether you use a Loft or Sweep is optional. Both have their own merits and limits. You will have to try both to see which gives the best result for your needs.

[cheers]

Use a sweep! It will be a cleaner result. Loft should be a last resort.

Create a guide curve that controls the diameter along the path. In the sectionsketch, you will need to use pierce constraints. Use one to attach the center of the circle to the path. Use another to associate the circle diameter to the guide. Do this by placing a point constrained coincident with the circle and pierce w/ the guide curve.

[bat]Honesty may be the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.[bat]
-SolidWorks API VB programming help

Sweep is better, just like TheTick said. They tend to be much more consistent than lofts in this case. Also, you'll only need a single guide curve since you're using a circle for your profile. If you use an ellipse, you can control major and minor axes with its own guide curve (I used to do this a lot for handle designs).

(This is me lately--run around and affirm whatever TheTick has already posted. [upsidedown] )

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

Sweep? No way. Use a loft. You've already got everything you need to make a loft. For a sweep you're gonna also need a guide curve. Make a centerline loft, and you might have to change the twist settings, but you'll be done in 15 seconds.

Best of luck

Jeff,

I know it was included in 2007. Can't remember farther back..... [lol]

Remember...
[navy]"If you don't use your head,[/navy] [idea]
[navy]your going to have to use your feet."[/navy]

I am sorry..I don't have an earlier version..but go to loft Property Manager and check centerline parameter..It works the same as guide curve but it doesn't have to touch profiles..
basically, you select your profile, activate the centerline parameters (on loft PM) and then select your centerline sketch (normally spline)..
anyway, this an image of the file,

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7f694c49-5398-40e1-979d-9b37258bb0b2&file=music_instrument.jpg
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back