Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swept cut question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSMachine

Mechanical
Oct 24, 2011
US
I'm trying to perform a swept cut on the edge of a knife blade I have drawn. I have been successful in getting the cut to start but it won't do the entire edge. The edge consists of line segments and arcs. There are probably about twenty of them from the rear edge (where the reference plane is inserted) all the way to the tip. I inserted the reference plane right at the start of the cut, because at first I did not have it that way and was having trouble getting the cut to start. It was giving me an error message saying that the path had to intersect the plane.

I have drawn a sketched line on top of the solid model that mimics the edge. It is however, still a broken line. When I try to execute the cut, it tells me it must be a smooth profile (or something to that effect). I cannot seem to replicate that at the moment so I can't give a detailed description of the error.

once I get the cut, I will then mirror it over to the other side of the blade.

Any hints on how to accomplish what I'm aiming for here would be appreciated.

bladesweptcut.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is what I get. Like I said, I knew it would probably do this. I don't know how to make the edge of the blade one flowing continuous line to begin with.

bladesweptcut2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back