Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switch Part tool 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, it's fascinating to watch your video, Simon, and it shows everybody works in a different manner. I see that most of your parts are separate, rather than in an assembly. One bug I noticed is that some parts have the preview image shown as not loaded, but the icon is still a loaded icon (rather than a closed icon). So I guess there is some small issue with the code where in TC mode it doesn't retrieve the correct part states.

NX8.5 Win7SP1 64bit i7-3770K@4.3Ghz 16GB Quadro2000

Hi CNSZU,
I'm testing your tool on windows 8.1 in Italian language and NX9 in English and during the use I've the error reported in the image attached.

P.S:I see you are good programmer, then, can you implement, if you have time and desire, the journal present in this forum that import component from text file.
I would like the journal that import components from Excel file (exported from a ERP) with quantity.

Thank you...

Using NX 8 and TC9.1

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1d605bf4-ba45-4a64-82b3-7f3478a9adda&file=error.png
Hi Cubalibre00,

Are you using Windows 7?

For all the lines with the error, try adding "System." (without quotes) in front of "Windows". For example, on line 1755,

Cursor = Windows.Forms.Cursors.WaitCursor
becomes
Cursor = System.Windows.Forms.Cursors.WaitCursor

If that fails, try installing the latest .NET framework version.

As for your request, although I'm happy to add relevant functionality to this tool, I suggest you find someone to help you :)

Hi CNSZU,
I'm using Windows 8.1.
The solution is to put 'System.' in fronto of all 'Windows' string.
I've error when I try to open the setting.
Windows 8.1 has .NET Framework 4.5 installed as default.

Thank you...

Using NX 8 and TC9.1

Hi Cubalibre00,

Do you mean adding "System." solved the problem? And now there is a different error? What do you mean by opening the setting? Could you give a screenshot?

Hi CNSZU,
sorry for the delay.
For the first error, yes, I've resolved to put "System." in front of each string that start with 'Windows.', but another error came out if if open search or setting option.
Attached the error.
Remember that this error came out on Windows 8.1 and NX9.
In other situation works well.

Thank you...

Using NX 8 and TC9.1

Hi CNSZU,

What is the difference resp. atvantage of your tool in comparison to the "Window" -> "More..." -> "Change Window" function, which is offered by NX as default? If I have the "Assembly Navigator" open and select one of the parts in the "Change Window" application in NX 7.5 the ANT - Preview Window reflects the preview of the selected part. In the "Change Window" application I have also the capability to filter the entire list by a search for a specific "term" in the name.

Regards

Matthias

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=dbf774ab-e87e-4d37-9b22-a3a0d9c32c0a&file=NX_Window_List_All_Open_Parts_3.jpg
So maybe build the ANT preview window into the "Change Window" function?

Khimani Mohiki
Design Engineer - Aston Martin
NX8.5

Hi Matthias,

The main advantage of the Switch Part tool is that it gives you an overall view of the assemblies. Yes, the Change Windows tool will give you a preview if you click on the parts listed in the window, but the listing is not arranged in a hierarchy (as the Assembly Navigator provides). However, the Assembly Navigator does not show the whole structure if the displayed part is not at the top level. Moreover, the Switch Part tool provides a vital advantage in that it displays SEPARATE assembly structures that are currently open.

At the end of the day, how useful this tool is depends on the way you work with NX.

Good Morning Mathias

Try it and you will adopt it. It works also very well with Teamcenter TC8.3/NX7.5

The only disadvantage is the time to open with large assemblies

Regards
Didier Psaltopoulos

Hi CNSZU,

What's the difference between Standard and Search list ?

And find below some enhancement request to your wonderfull program:

- Save the screen position
- Ability to have it already running ?

Regards
Didier Psaltopoulos

Hi Didier,

Standard List: Hierarchical display of all components.
Search List: Single level display of components. Which components to display is defined in the search options (right click to access).

Saving the position of the tool relative to the screen can be done.
By 'already running' do you mean that the tool is automatically executed when NX starts? This I don't know how to do. Maybe someone could give me advice on how to achieve this. Otherwise, a solution could be that the tool is constantly running, i.e. it doesn't close when you select a component, but this will prevent you from interacting with NX. If you are concerned about the time it takes to start up the tool, I would suggest that you convert the journal into a dll.

NX9 Win8.1 64bit i7-3770K 16GB Quadro2000

Hi CNSZU,

The solution to Simon's issue with the path to the bmp file got me thinking. Would you consider dynamically setting the values for JournalDirectory and SettingsFile in the init() function so that the need to edit the source file to set installation location can be eliminated?

Code:
JournalDirectory = Path.GetDirectoryName(theSession.ExecutingJournal) & "\"
SettingsFile = JournalDirectory & "Settings.dat"

Regards,

Joe

That's brilliant, Joe! If that method works, it will certainly be useful in the future.

NX9 Win8.1 64bit i7-3770K 16GB Quadro2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back