Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Synchronous generators in series with UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattc

Electrical
Jul 7, 1999
US
Having read about harmonic interaction within exciter fields due to UPS, I'm wondering if anyone has real world experience in operating gensets with UPS gear (poly or single phase). If you can also suggest reactors that are commonly used to correct over voltage conditions within the gen, that would be helpful. Thanks in advance.<br>
-mc

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A Y-DELTA TRANSFORMER BETWEEN THE LOAD AND SUPPLY WILL TAKE<br>
CARE OF MOST PROBLEMS,IF YOUR MAIN CONCERN IS THE LOAD SERVED."DEPENDING ON THE TYPE OF HARMONIC"<br>
IF YOUR CONCERN IS VOLTAGES IN THE GENSET THE Y-DELTA CAN ALSO BE PLACED ON THE LOAD SIDE OF THE UPS.<br>
THE WAY THE SYSTEM IS GROUNDED IS ALSO IMPORTANT.<br>
THE POWER COMPANY ENGINEERS ARE WILLING TO HELP WITH THIS<br>
TYPE OF PROBLEM.I WOULD ALSO CHECK THE COMPANIES THAT SUPPLIED THE EQUIPMENT.

Uhhh, thanks...I guess...right...the manufacturer....salesmen....underqualified staff....oh wait, the power company....if only they subscribed to this website so they could post a detailed technical answer....that would be too easy. But you're right to electrically isolate the load. Isonchronous govenors on the prime mover help too. Why?

I don't know the Why?<br>
I thought maybe you wanted general ideas "Sorry"<br>
I've heard there is a company in California that builds a kit add-on for your exicter problem , don't know if it works<br>
or not,or the name of the company.<br>
The system's I've worked on gen,ups,& harmonic trouble.<br>
Independent Ups. 120v models seem to be the worst, multiple units on the same phase."Again I don't why" they multpiply <br>
the hormonic on the system causing exicter burnout,I've seen<br>
the Ups's melt each other under these conditions.<br>
I was able to fix this with transformers,208/240v Ups,change<br>
the grounding between systems utility,gen,ups.The required<br>
grounding under local and national electrical code "us" does nothing but make harmonics grow and move!<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back