Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Monitor/Diagnostic Tool for "slow down" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsessions

Mechanical
Nov 4, 2004
ZA
Hello

REF: "Are you experiencing Slow downs? - Try these options faq559-1094"

I am experiencing painfully slow response times due to, I think, disc access speeds. The computer "thinks" for 10 minutes at a time on 1% CPU usage. Granted, the assemblies are large, but I would like to have a better idea of what is happening so I can better address the fix. Task Manager just doesn't give enough information.

Does anyone use a Task Manager type diagnostic program with file/bus/registry/... monitors included and would recommend it?

Many thanks
Nicholas

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Start taskmanager (process tab)
2. Click "View" -> "Select columns"
3. Check the following boxes:
"Peak memory usage"
"IO Read Bytes"
"IO Write Bytes"

You use the memory usage to see how close to crashing you are. The IO columns can be monitored, if not increasing in a 'stall' period your system is probably waiting for something other than your hard drive. My guess: videocard

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer
Searching Eng-Tips forums

CBL, thank you for the sysinternal tools - i like the procmon program quite a lot - not sure what exactly to do with the data though:)

Stefan, I'd forgotten about those extra columns, thanks for pointing it out to me. - I'd like to ask what makes you think that it may be graphics card - what, typically, would you look for for such a diagnostic?

Cheers
/n

well, there is some ancient thread of mine floating around, describing how to diagnose if your graphics memory is insufficient, causing stalls.

... I found it here.

It does not work on every system though, but is worth a shot.

New version:

The forum for Rivatuner, containing lots of info, is here:

Please do read use the search over there first, as Alexey (Unwinder) is allready considering closing it...

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer
Searching Eng-Tips forums

The video card is the prime culprit when it comes to the speed of processing the SolidWorks files. I have seen this many times while working for a VAR. Your card shouls be for a workstation not a gaming card. Check on the date of the video driver and see if there is a new one available.

Is your assembly on the network or your local hard drive. I have a lot of lag due to how our network is setup. Just to save a simple file can take upto 45 seconds. I moved the design folder to my hard drive and the speed picked right up.

Hope this helps.

Also, many network administrators set up your "My Documents" folder to be a network folder. I usually work in a folder named c:\"user name". Be aware that this gets around the automatic updates your company has set up. I usually keep a copy of this folder in "My Documents". Hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back