System sizing calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

msb01

Mechanical
Oct 11, 2007
US
Hello,
I am planning to include system sizing in my simulation tools. The idea is to find out the cooling/heating system size reduction due to a particular energy efficiency measure. I need to provide a general approach. here is what I am thinking:
1. calculate cooling/heating loads for all the zones
2. Add all the loads (heating or cooling) for the whole building.
3. Multiply by a sizing factor (say 1.2) to get system sizing.
5. convert the system size to ton or MMBtuh
6. User $/ton or $/MMBtuh cost to calculate the system cost
I understand that all the zone loads may not be simultaneous, or system size depends on many other factors but I could not think of any simplify approach. I will appreciate any feedback o the approach or any guidance.. Thanks..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The buildings are air-conditioned. My tool deals with commercial buildings though the residential buildings are also part of it. Buildings can be any size, shape and have option of defining insulation..

What does the system sizing factor come from? A 20% over-sizing factor is pretty generous, especially considering you're sizing based on simultaneous zone peak loads; when solar loads tend to peak at different times.

ChrisConley,
ASHRAE 90.1 requires sizing of 1.25 for heating and 1.15 for cooling so I was just averaging it out. In general do you think this methodology is correct? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back