Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Teamcenter Integration for NX; "bundled" TC with Mach

Status
Not open for further replies.

potrero

Mechanical
Aug 30, 2007
US
A while back, Shadowspawn asked if anyone has experience using the Teamcenter product that comes with Mach bundles (thread561-191022 ). Since that thread is closed, I'm opening this one up to ask basically the same question.

If you've got experience setting up, or using, this product, could you give some feedback on what it's like? Is it useful as a PDM product?

What's it like working with a group of other users on the system? Any issues? Comments?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi potrero, as far as I know, you can't use this Teamcenter license as shipped, you need also an Oracle or MSQLS Server license, and a guy to install and configure all things.

The license that comes with MATCH bundles, is for the engineering phase, I mean check in, check out, revision control and documentation purpuoses. But there aren't a data base license, configuration and possibly an Author license too.

Frank.

Frank,
Actually, for the version that ships with Mach Bundles, I'm pretty sure you can only use MS SQL Standard (no Oracle Support for this version of Teamcenter). Not clear on how this would work in an environment with users on both Linux and Win-32 or Win-64 versions of NX. (Not to mention Mac - if THAT ever happens...)

Majority of Teamcenter sites use Oracle. Every version of Teamcenter supports Oracle, except for Teamcenter Express, which is MSSQL only. Tc2007.1 and beyond uses UGSLMD 28000 port, which NX4? and Up uses. So Tc and NX are both on the same license server now.

To support both *nix and Win platforms, you'll need 2 TC_DATA folders. One for Windows clients and the other for the *nix clients.

-Dave Tolsma

I'm feeling a bit like having the wool pulled over my eyes here. We have been wanting TC forever, but can't justify the cost to upper management. We have Mach L3 (Advanced Machining) so you are saying that we already have TC functionality? The only features we really need right now is what you had listed, file check-in/out and version control.

We use Solidworks for our CAD end. Does anyone know if the Solidworks TC module will work in this "limited" TC environment?

We have a NX Mach 1 Design and althought the Software Quote stated included "Teamcenter CAD Management" and "Teamcenter-Visualization Base" there appears no check-in or check-out ability.

We know our purchase did not include either Teamcenter Express or the full Teamcenter package.

After reading the above, I did phone GTAC and they said we would not have any file management capability unless we purchased Teamcenter Express at a minimum.

I thought there used to be (pre-Teamcenter) some limited management using what was called Engineering Manager.

Am I missing something? We really only need some very basic file management/revision control at this time. Any comment?

Dissymmetry,
I sympathise strongly with your dissatisfaction on this issue. Siemens could be a LOT clearer in what exactly is included in the TC that is included in Mach packages, all the way thru to supporting in a useful manner the way that one sets up and implements the system.

About the Solidworks TC module - I don't think it's included; you'd have to purchase it separately.

I am still a bit confused then after rghay's post. So is there some functionality that is just outside of the "normal" user's reach without setting up your own database connectivity?

Maybe I should call and ask myself to get specifics on what is included in the package we have. It may be something that we would have to make work ourselves, so they say it doesn't have the functionality. Most likely they don't offer any documentation/support for it because want you to buy TC.

I haven't had great luck with the support system there so far. The problem I have been having they wanted to send back my way to figure it out for myself. I just haven't allowed them to stop the conversation and keep pushing on them to give me answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back