Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

technical skills or learn to BS 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneintheeye

Structural
Nov 20, 2007
GB
in your experience what gets you places (i.e. promotion/money). Learning technical skills or being a BSer and being confident in what your saying even if it is total rubbish. I think I waste my time learning technical skills when the money goes to the BSers of this world.
This is not meant to be a rant sorry.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think technical skills are important, but I think becoming a very good BS'er is actually not as easy as it sounds. Just like becoming a masterful thief is not easy.

Why are people promoting Bull Sh!t???
If you know what you are talking about, then you don't have to blab like an imbecile to convince anyone!!!
Jeeze, end of story.

[peace]
Fe

@FeX32,
People like me suck at BS'ing. It is an art. I am not promoting it but saying that it takes skill and balls of steel knowing that any moment you could get called out.

I am a man of pride and I would not like to be called out in public, but to be a good BS'er you have to walk a fine line.

Engineers are in general terrible BS'ers. Cos all we speak are facts and numbers. We don't know to sugar coat things or make rough edges smooth. All we know and care for are numbers.

I have a colleague at work who is super good at listening to what you are saying and repeating it verbatim somewhere else and people think that "oh wow". What they don't really know is how much that person does not know. But it does not matter. All that matters in the short term is how much you make people someone else believe how smart you are.

Again, you don't work too long with clients to give them the opportunity to figure you out. Co-workers is another story.

I must mention that I was borderline trying to say that having good people skills combined with technical skills is the asset to have. BS'ing can only take you so far.

ahh ok. I understand you guys now. I guess I misunderstood.

I'm not a good BS'er either. But, I am good at arguing a point.
I hate those bull turd kind of people and I will call them out at any chance I get. I don't recommend this to anyone at a meeting or the such....it can end up in engineering swearing matches. [upsidedown]

[peace]
Fe

FeX32 said:

If you know what you are talking about, then you don't have to blab like an imbecile to convince anyone!!!

I disagree. Even if you know the truth you may not be able to convince anyone. Just ask Cassandra. If a BSer is more easily believed then a technical expert then i say the prblem lies with the expert. He needs to learn how to argue his point better. I wouldn't call this BS (see my discussion above about terminology), but the skill set is the same.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

[smile]
Well. I can't speak for anyone else.
But, with that "try out bisexuality" attitude, I was proposing that the workplace parties could end up like bi key swapping parties.
[afro2]

By no means do I promote this. If you need me I will be at the downtown strip club.

[peace]
Fe

Just got back from the club with a belly full of pork. :)

Oh. yea well I guess I never experienced that. The ones I attended were as lame as can get.
I should change venues maybe.

[peace]
Fe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back