Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TEK screws- seeking #2 drill tip exact specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRocketScientist

Mechanical
Feb 19, 2009
US
I am looking for exact specifications for the #2 drill tip of a TEK type self drilling screw. I am securing a plastic block to 0.090" thick aluminum extrusion with 3/4" long stainless steel #10 TEK type screws. Currently using #10-16 screws with a #2 drill tip, which strip at about 70-80 in-lbs, allowing easy secure assembly to a good seating at about 25 in-lbs using Atlas-Copco auto shutoff assembly tools.

Purchasing wants to change to a fine thread #10-24 with a #2 drill tip. Evidently, any of these have to be special ordered because the manufacturer generally produces a #3 drill tip on this size screw. We must have a #2 drill tip [shorter length] because the screw cannot be located further inward lest it hit another surface [see photo]. There's only enough room, as it is, to get 2 or maybe 3 threads past the anchoring surface before the drill tip encounters the far wall.

9336_KS2282_13.jpg

Initial samples of the fine thread 10-24 screw provided good results, stripping at 80-90 in-lbs. However, the samples from the first major purchase of these screws perform very poorly, stripping at 45 at best, or as low as 27 in-lbs in one case- barely greater than the seating torque. Consequently we can't select or adjust a tool to seat but not strip these.

Nominal screw diameter is 0.190, and the samples match this well, except the outer 3-4 threads are more like 0.180" OD. I ran some fine thread samples in to just the drilling depth, effectively making a tapping pilot hole with the sample screw, then gaged that hole with number drills, to find that the drill tips were making holes 0.161-0.169" dia., as crudely measured in this manner. In comparison, Machinery's handbook suggests 0.148-0.154" tap hole for #10-24 _machine screw_ threads.

Close examination of the currently used [coarse thread] and the sample finer thread screws shows that the finer thread samples have very little protrusion of the thread beyond the diameter of the drilling tip. I suspect that the #2 drill tip is not formed correctly to spec, or perhaps the spec is not suitable for fine threaded fasteners into AL substrate. Not enough material left for a proper grip, with a 0.170" hole and 0.180" threads.

Bottom line, the early samples held much more torque than the present samples, and I suspect the reason is an incorrectly manufactured #2 drill tip- but I cannot find any EXACT specificatons showing what the drill tip should look like and measure.

I did find a thread here at Eng-Tips [via Google]:

Which, for some reason a search here for "TEK" or "TEK screw" will NOT find...

From that thread, I visited the recommended link:

which has no such information, so I submitted a request via their handy link.

I have yet to try to find the NASPEC information that was mentioned in the previous thread. I thought perhaps someone here has been thru this already and has a readily available pointer for me to find the specs of this type of screw drilling point.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why does purchasing want to change again?? I have no problems sourcing a #10-16 #2 drill tip...

BSD type might yield better results instead of TEK...

See SAE-J78 for the standard I believe.

Typically the drill point OD should be just slightly smaller than the minor diameter of the screw threads.

SAE J78 Steel Self-Drilling Tapping Screws is one standard for this type of product. The required major diameter for Type CSD 10-24 screw is 0.1834-0.1900 inches. All other dimensions are reference only. For this reason and others, this is not a preferred screw for use in critical applications. Have you considered pre-drilling the hole and using a thread forming screw such as Taptite or Altracs? I suspect the answer is no, if your purchasing entity is trying to move you away from a piece of crapshit[sup]TM[/sup] 10-16 to a piece of crapshit[sup]TM[/sup] 10-24 in the name of cost. Here are some links in case you are interested:

Taptite 2000[sup]®[/sup]

Altracs[sup]®[/sup]

I can't answer your specific question, but I can give you some good advice. Change your screw type. Spaced thread screws like TEKS are lousy for drive-strip ratio and not well suited for structural applications. I recommend a thread rolling screw like Taptite.

Not sure we can change the screw type. There is a lot of managerial inertia there. That screw is used in a lot of other applications, NONE of which will get a pre-drilled hole, as it's not practical.

As for these screws exhibiting a poor drive/strip ratio, that's not been my experience with other samples of this screw- I see drive torques of 10-15 in-lbs consistently, the part seats nicely at 20-30, and after about 1 turn more, the maximum of 70-90 in-lbs has been attained and the substrate pulled out.

The coarse thread screws work perfectly.

This just in:

current screw
root dia. 0.134"
drill tip 0.140-0.145"
drilled hole 0.140-0.152" by number drills gaging
Drive 10-20; seat at 25-35; strip at 70-80
strip/seat ratios of 2.3-2.8; no worries.

Recent samples of fine thread #2 drill tip
Root dia. 0.134"
drill tip 0.169" <== 0.035" larger than root dia. ?!
drilled hole 0.161-0.169
Drive 10-15; seat at 20-25; stripped at 25-45
Strip/seated ratios 1.1-2.3 <== 1.1 units are the problem.

So, if the #2 drill tip dimensions are 'reference only' then there's no way to count on the drill tip being consistently held to any particular length or diameter. Whatever they send is what you work with, eh?

I guess I thought that manufacturers could hold a required spec to within a couple thousandths of an inch, like the OD... and since the drilled hole is CRUCIAL to the success of the screw, well, I had imagined that the drill tip would be a tightly controlled dimension as well. Not just "whatever pops out of the machine today."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back