Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TEKLA STRUCTURES for DUMMIES 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingeniosus

Structural
Jul 23, 2011
IT
Hi everybody!

I've seen some videos about Tekla Structures and I found it very impressive.
Is it easy to learn?
Does anyone know of free tutorials or manuals for fast learning (I mean for dummies)?

Thanks

Best regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't really know Tekla, but I do know that Tekla recently added a link with Bentley ISM which opens up integration with a host of other applications (ProSteel, Revit, STAAD, etc.). If you are more comfortable working in one of those programs, then the Tekla ISM plugin might help you.

What field are you in? I believe (though this is certainly not set in stone) that Tekla is used quite extensively in the precast and steel detailing world. If you are more on the design side (not precast) you might want to consider Revit instead. I know a lot of architects are going in this direction.

I'm in the design site (Reinforced Concrete, Masonry and steel structures).
I heard about these BIM softwares and I thought that Tekla Structures was the best for engineers.
Revit isn't for Architects?
Can you design R.C. and steel construction drawings with Revit?

Thanks

You can't "design" it in either.

Revit, in theory, allows two way communication with Bentley products, which you would then use for the design phase. The architect (again, in theory) begins a model in Revit, distributes it to the consultants, then the sub-disciplines all work off of that model in two directions.

I know of some architects that do Revit exclusively, but that's certainly the exception. I do know that it won't be too long before more projects are BIM than not. It's obviously a nascent field (for lack of a better term), so the exact process is being explored by architects and engineers. I suspect, eventually, there will be a uniform procedure to carry out design document production. Until then, it's a bit of an exploration between the consultants and the individual architects.

I don't know that any of the BIM programs out there has full integration through the design and detailing process. At least not yet!

My tendency is to think of Tekla as both a BIM and steel detailing program. Whereas Revit is pretty much a BIM program, someone else will have to speak up about what you do for steel connection detailing with Revit. Does Revit export the model to SDS/2, or do they attempt to do their own detailing?

At this point, Revit probably has better links to the major Structural Analysis programs. Certainly a better link to RISA(where I work). But, Tekla does link to most of the major analysis programs with a CIS/2 exchange file. That's not quite as robust as a direct link.

Tekla, however, does link nicely to RISAConnection for the design of some steel connections. That interaction is in its infancy, but seems to be promising.

Thanks to all for your precious answers.

So what BIM software do you recommend for everyday Civil/Structural engineer job?
I was looking for a BIM software that allows you to make all changes that you want and update all drawings with the best quality (R.c. and steel drawings in particular).

Best regards

Thanks for your advise.
Sincerely I don't know Bentley ProStructure.
Is it better than Tekla Structures and Revit??

Can you draw all type of Civil Engineering structures? (R.C., steel and masonry)?

I don't know many people running Bentley's BIM package. I usually talk to folks using Revit, or Tekla. But, these days I'm mostly talking to folks working on commercial buildings.

In my previous life, we used some Bentley products, but that was for industrial plants, not buildings or commercial structures. Even then, the main BIM-line product was from Integraph, not Bentley. The Bentley microstation was used to create CAD drawing because it integrated well with Integraph's 3D plant model.

Seth may be able to enlighten us further, but my understanding was that Bentley and Integraph may have had some sort of falling out and split up. With integraph writing their own program to produce CAD drawings and Bentley writing their own program for 3D plant models. I suspect this is what turned into their BIM product. If I'm correct, that may explain why I'm not seeing it in mentioned in the same circles as Revit / Tekla. But, I'm really just guessing. Seth may have a better understanding of what type of market that product is really being used for.

I've also heard someone mention that Bentley is bigger in the transportation / bridge sector as well. Don't remember where I heard that. Though I want to say it may have been referring more to their CAD product (Microstation) than their BIM product.

Interesting...
Does it have an analysis module or it is only a "drawing" software?

Are there free online tutorials to take a look about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back