Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Temp Control for Hazardous Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

handee

Chemical
Mar 7, 2005
US
Hi folks, I haven't had any luck finding a free-standing PID tmperature controller (actuates a modulating cooling water flow valve) that can be located in a hazardous location. The operators will want to adjust the setpoint at will, and the non-XP control room is some distance away. Quite inconvenient if we need to use a non-XP controller. Any suggestions? TIA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pneumatic controls are inherently safe. Discuss using Foundation Fieldbus transmitter and valve controller programmed with the PID in the valve transducer. Lots of PLC's are rated Division 2. I have not looked at the 1/2 DIN or 1/4 DIN controllers in a long time. However, surely some of the 1/4 DIN controllers are rated Division 2.

Thanks JL. There's an existing 4-20 XP transmitter and we are looking to loop it to a controller. I too expected that some 1/4 DIN units would be rated Div 2, just haven't been able to find one yet.

There are also self-contained temperature regulating valves that work similarly to self contained pressure regualtors. They are usually used with water. I think Sterlco is one source (or Mcmaster-Carr).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back