Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Temperature of air ventilated from pump room???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmtswims

Mechanical
Jun 8, 2006
US
I am trying to figure out the temperature of the air that I am ventilating from a pump room to decide whether it needs to be exhausted to the outdoors. I have (2)20hp pumps, I have done a rule of thumb to figure out the Btuh that these will be giving off and came up with 15026 Btuh. (110 Watts per hp> (110*40=4400 Watts > converted to Btuh = 15026). I am moving 1000 cfm out of the room and intaking the same. The room is approximately 100 sq. ft.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the reply. I am sorry, I really should have clarified that I don't have a good concept of what the intake air temperature is going to be. This room is in a ventilated garage that is partially buried underground. I am obviously trying to figure out worst case scenario. This building is in South Florida.

First, I think your heat gain from the motors is low. ASHRAE has a guideline for this, and a 20hp pump with both motor and pump in the same space releases 58,500 btu/hr. If both pumps are running, that's 117,000 btu/hr.

The air temperature rise = btu/hr divided by 1.08 x cfm.

If both pumps run continuously, this will be an extremely hot room.

Thanks for the post. I agree that the 13 degree dT seems very low for (2) 20hp pumps. Can you tell me where ASHRAE states the guideline for the pump heat gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back