Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Temporary Truss Bracing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dianium500

Structural
Dec 3, 2008
US
I have recently been seeing notes on truss manufacturer drawings that indicate the temporary truss bracing is the responsibility of the building designer. I have always specified the permanent truss bracing but never the temporary. This would seem to fall under means and methods. Anyone else encountering this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The truss plate Institute has a technical guide about this. I'm fairly certain temporary bracing is the installing contractors problem, not the EOR.

they may need an engineer for long spans. from ANSI/TPI 1 -2014

temp_txpvfw.jpg

Oh I agree that permanent bracing is the EOR's responsibility, the temporary bracing is not.

However, as per kipfoots quoted clause, if the truss are longer span, that temporary bracing also needs to be designed by an engineer. But to me that should be an engineer acquired by the contractor.

The requirement has been in the IBC since 2009. But note that it says the Owner shall contract with any Registered Design Professional to design the bracing. In my experience, bracing is typically designed by the truss engineer and then the bracing loads that are imposed on the primary structure are reviewed by the EOR. But that is not the only possible method of satisfying the requirement though, as long as some registered design professional is contracted to provide the bracing design.

In the UK it's temporary works so would normally sit with the Contractor/Principal Contractor. The Building Engineer may need to give input but only so far as any other temporary works scheme would require.

Back in the '70s I worked as a draftsman for a structural that did a lot of truss design work.
I don't recall his exact criteria, but for long and unstable (mostly scissor) trusses he designed both temp and perm bracing.
Over the few years that I worked there there were two erecting accidents.
In both cases they had ignored the temp bracing requirements.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Is there a "design procedure" or otherwise a set of guidelines for the design of each of these (temp and permanent truss bracing)?
This is an often bantered about topic but I'm wondering how easy or difficult it really is.
I hear some people say they "never" design t and others say they "always' do.
Is there a prescriptive standard or other type of guideline for this.

I'll look at the link that dauwerda provided....

For temporary bracing, the trade associations do offer some guidance. Here's one example: Link.

For permanent bracing, when it's addressed at all, the EOR often specifies how runs of nodal bracing are to be terminated such that the bracing itself is laterally restrained. Usually that's intermittent cross bracing but it can also be tie-ins to masonry walls etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back