Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing of Erosion Control Products

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthew88

Civil/Environmental
May 16, 2002
US
{Cross Posted to Flood/Storm}
Is there anyplace that routinely generates test data for erosion control products or procedures (i.e., different kinds of materials for matting, planting techniques, different kinds of grasses, and so on)? Specifically, a lab that actually deploys these products and procedures to a "real-world" testbed, outside on a parcel of land somewhere, and then either sprays water on them or waits for rainfall.

Also, is there a similar facility that tests sedimentation control structures?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't cite you a reference, but I remember downloading some reports from the Texas DOT site.

- Dennis
--
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.
-Sir Winston Churchill

You might try looking into (or contacting) the Erosion Control Technology Council at
Other than that, many states (in addition to the reference to Texas, above) evaluate erosion control measures. Unfortunately, I think you'll have to contact each one individually to see what they're doing.

I would also contact either the Erosion Control Technology council or the International Erosion Control Association. The reference to the Texas DOT is probably the TRI (Texas Research Institute) where many of the erosion blanket producers have their materials evaluated. Your other option might be to contact your local CPESC (Certified Professional of Erosion and Sediment Control) as he may have additional information. There has been a lot of research done in recent years and information should be fairly easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back