Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Testing Standards for performance testing of low voltage power distribution systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackJackJacques

Marine/Ocean
Apr 5, 2018
US
Does anyone know of testing standards governing the testing of lv power distribution systems. I have an industrial system presently fed from a DG plant and need to evaluate performance to determine what is needed for a utility service option. So I will be testing things like motor inrush, pf, harmonics, etc. I see IEC standards such as IEC 61000-4-30 and 62586-2 but they are geared towards the testing instruments themselves. I'm looking for a standard governing the actual plant. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NETA would handle the apparatus testing. I'm not familiar with the IEC standards, but you may want to check IEEE 1547. Ultimately, if you intend to connect to (parallel) a utility, the utility will have it's own set of standards that you MUST follow. The sooner you contact the utility and understand their requirements, the better. This is especially true with grounding methods and transformer selection.

One example of utility requirements is ComEd Blue Book

Dear Mr BlackJackJacques
Have you look into
a) various parts of IEC61439-x ?. The main part IEC 61439-1 or one of the parts could be relevant to your need,
b) various parts of IEC60364,
c) EN BS 7671.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Thanks Gang, I have checked all the references identified above and it appears I have to construct my own based on bits and pieces of the foregoing. The closest I could find is the IEC 61000-4-30 - a standard governing power analyzer instruments themselves such as the Fluke 435 - covering Voltage Dip/Drop, Harmonics, Power Factor, etc etc. I went ahead and purchased the NETA ATS/MTS/ECS standards and there is some useful bits in those items. I am perplexed that with all the standards and many of them esoteric, there is not a standard governing system performance - absolutely perplexed!

Thanks again!!

Jim

Have you looked at the EGSA Performance Standards? Take a look here, Take a look at EGSA 107T-1999 Performance Standard for Generator Test Methods, it may be helpful

Also, have you looked at ISO 8528_5?
Scope
This part of IS0 8528 defines terms and specifies design criteria arising out of the combination of a reciprocating
internal combustion (RIC) engine and an alternating current (a.c.) generator when operating as a unit.
It applies to a.c. generating sets driven by RIC engines for land and marine use, excluding generating sets used
on aircraft or to propel land vehicles and locomotives.
For some specific applications (for example, essential hospital supplies, high-rise buildings, etc.) supplementary
requirements may be necessary. The provisions of this part of IS0 8528 should be regarded as a basis.
For generating sets driven by other reciprocating-type prime movers (e.g. sewage gas engines, steam engines),
the provisions of this part of IS0 8528 should be used as a basis.

Variations in how a plant like that should operate depends on a large number of factors, types of loads, critical nature of the site operation, is life safety a concern, types of power sources, etc. Finding a one size fits all solution is pretty hard. Are you only looking at the electrical performance of the system, and trying to see if available utility service is adequate to power your site, or if you can parallel to the local utility to improve stability and reliability? Or are you trying to do some kind of a performance analysis to see if a utility service is a more cost effective solution for your power needs than your existing plant?

MikeL

You aren't looking at acceptance testing or maintenance testing, so industry standards like NETA probably won't be too useful. Look for publications by instrument manufacturers like Fluke or Dranetz and talk to their technical people for guidance of using their instruments.

Thank you Mikel. I looked over the EGSA and there are elements that will help - Thanks. I will review the ISO ref.

The mission is as you say:

"looking at the electrical performance of the system, and trying to see if available utility service is adequate to power your site"

and

"do some kind of a performance analysis to see if a utility service is a more cost effective solution for your power needs than your existing plant"

The overall objective is to eliminate the existing DG sets and move to utility.

One goal is to size the transformer/utility service needed and see if a smaller service will suffice.

We are in the process of gathering load data, establishing load profiles, etc and making plans to instrument the system.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back