Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text description in Icons? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorBlimeyLimey

Mechanical
Nov 5, 2003
CA
Is there an option to have a textual icon description to show in the toolbars. I know that a description appears after hovering on the icon, but on my system the description that pops up is of the previous icon I visited. [bugeyed] I have to move off the icon onto the graphics screen & then re-hover on an icon to get the correct description. Very annoying & frustrating.

I have an ATI Radeon 7000 card which I know is not SE certified, but cannot afford to change right now.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[lol] Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. [lol]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

rollarc
You have the same problem? If so what card/driver are you using?

i'm using a nvida geforce3/4.5.2.3 and yes another unsupported card maybe it is the cause.....i was talking to tech support about a different problem i have been having and he told me v15 service pack 3 is going to be released by next week....i was hoping that might take care of it...have you logged a ir w/ them yet on that one now that i see its not just me i might log one later today....just to see....

I don't have access to SE support. I have just negotiated a contract (working from home) with a local company & am using a copy of SE from them. I have been using SolidWorks for 4 years, so am having to do a crash course to familiarize myself & get up to speed in SE ... and this sort of problem doesn't help.

Go ahead with your IR ... it can't hurt, but they will probably just say "Upgrade your card".

Try changing from graphics card driven to software driven in the options area.
That worked for me when the icon text was creating black splodges everywhere.

i just tried that it didn't help.....i have an ir logged w/ the techies....hurry up and wait...i'm guessing sp3 is going to have the fix...SURE IT WILL...haa haa

MojoJoJo1967
Thankyou for the reminder, I have read that tip several times on the SW forum, so should have remembered. Never needed to use it for SW but it works fine for SE ... have a star [thumbsup2]

HERE IS WHAT THE SE TECHeeeee HAD TO SAY ABOUT OUR LITTLE PROBLEM... THOUGHT YOU GUYS MIGHT BE INTERESTED WHEN I HEAR MORE I'LL LET YOU KNOW

IR Description: tool tips read as the wrong tip

Your recent call to the Technical Access Center, Incident Report (IR)
Number 4958533 opened on 22-APR-2004, has been researched by our TAC
software engineers who have determined that this problem requires resolution by
our SOLID_EDGE development team. This IR was converted into a problem
report (PR) on 23-APR-2004 and is now referenced as PR Number 4339222,
with a priority code of 2 Serious.

Worked for me too ... thanks meiklephil ... now I can keep my hardware acceleration. [thumbsup2]

So this begs other questions ... if these files can be deleted ... why are they there & what will stop working now they have been removed (actually I just renamed them) & how the heck did you discover that trick?

FYI:

This is a Microsoft Windows XP problem and how it handles OpenGL. At least for the way SE uses OpenGL.

The real fix is to not delete the manifest file (which gets rid of all the XP bells and whistles for SE and could also effect your v15 quickpick), but to call MS and ask for the OpenGL patch. They don't have it available for download, but will give it to you for free when you call.

Expect this fix to be in SP2 for Win XP.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

I know this is an old topic, but here's something new to go along with the answers already provided.

SE v17 introduces some changes to the GUI, one of which is the optional addition of text to go along with the icons for each command.

Regards,

Kevin

We had the same problem with tooltips etc on V14/V15 and were told to rename or delete the manifest files. This fixed it.
Windows XP Service Pack 2 also does fix the tooltips problem without deleting the files (at least for V14/V15)

Install the little patch (like swertel mentioned) from Microsoft, problem got solved right away. Don't be too fast on criticism, SE does not manage (neither will SW or any other CAD) the OS (Operating System) and it handles its own tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back