Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

The case for paperless office workflow 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkshakelake

Structural
Jul 15, 2013
US
I'll make the case for a paperless office workflow!

I've been using this setup for 2 years and haven't looked back. All of this hinges on having a display tablet, not to be confused with a regular drawing tablet because those suck. To be clear, I don't advocate paperless outside the office; I still use pen and paper for site visits and meetings. I'm also not describing a note taking device; that's covered in detail in the threads below, but can easily complement the workflow I'm presenting. Feel free to poke holes in any of this! It's just for fun.

There have been a few threads on the subject:

1. You get a clean workspace, which increases clarity of mind and productivity

This is my home office. Real office is similar, but with more monitors. I didn't clean it up; this is in the middle of work. Enough space for my protein shake, super cool rock, and cold water. Display tablet is on the right.

WeChat_Image_20221111135532_imbebn.jpg

Before I went paperless and was working for someone else, the office looked something like this. It's not an exaggeration; the reality was worse. There were also bookcases, shelves, and repurposed furniture just to hold drawings and binders.

messy-office_udjtlh.jpg

2. You don't have to look through millions of pieces of paper to find a calculation

Calculations are organized into electronic folders. It beats walking to a bookcase, finding the right binder, and flipping to the right page of calculations.

Screenshot_2022-11-11_140316_rhocug.png

3. With a tablet display and Excel, it's faster and easier to make calculations

Instead of printing and annotating an engineering drawing for a calculation, you could take a screenshot and mark it up. This works seamlessly in Excel, which has built-in drawing tools.

markup1_gyfgng.png

You can incorporate markups like you would with paper calculations, along with math. Some advantages over paper include being able to easily modify numbers (and have them propagate through calculations), move things around like sketches, and work on an infinite canvas. Should you need it, you also have the power of VBA programming at your fingertips. This is better than paper.

markup_2_osyuvm.png

I didn't make any attempt to make these look nice or easy to follow. But should it need to be submitted to an official, it can be made to look more professional. It's the same thing with paper.

4. You can incorporate results from other programs in the same file

This one is not a 100% slam dunk. Microsoft Office isn't quite there yet when it comes to integrating Word, Excel, and PDFs. But it is possible, though quite janky. But on paper? You have to print out the results and lose the order. In Excel, you can paste a PDF on a separate sheet, even multiple sheets, and it will retain the order. I've done 60 page long calculations by doing this in one Excel file. (If you're using SMath or something else, this argument falls apart a bit.)

markup_3_erwyuf.png

5. Sketches? Yeaa boii

Some engineers like to have a notebook full of sketches, calculations, and random thoughts. Use OneNote or Krita. OneNote can save stuff in a hierarchical fashion and have different workbooks, chapters, and sheets. I personally don't work like this and I save everything to a specific place, but I created a quick notebook to demonstrate this.

markup_4_crs3jl.png

As a plus, you can take a screenshot of anything you want to mark up, like a dimension or changes to a detail, and shoot it off to a client or coworker or employee. I have one remote drafter and 100% of our communications are done with paperless markups on pdf's. So the advantages go well and far beyond calculations. The caveat is with engineering drawings, even with a big display, you have to zoom in and out quite a bit. My work office has a fancier display tablet with programmable knobs and controls for that, which makes it less onerous.

6. You can carry your calculations everywhere

This is definitely not possible with paper, unless you scan and organize everything. I have my server hooked up to a Onedrive and Goodsync cloud mirror, which I can access with my phone. I can pull up Excel calculations and pdf's anywhere I go. It's been useful in a few cases where I was at a meeting and didn't have a certain calculation or drawing on hand, and didn't have to call back to the office to have it sent. It takes some practice and getting used to, but it doubles as a neat trick in a meeting.

Now, to address concerns!

Doesn't feel as good as paper
I agree, but it's pretty damn close. An engineer I know was forced to use a display tablet over a decade ago and she hated it. She tried my display and said it's so good, it's like night and day. The technology is refined, and will only get better.

It's not precise and/or it's clumsy
That's because your tablet is too small! I use a 24" tablet with 2K resolution. I tried Microsoft Surface and iPad, and those are too small to use effectively. I do NOT recommend going the laptop or handheld tablet route; I need a beastly, non-portable monster tablet. With a big enough display, you don't have to zoom in and out. If you have the desk space and budget, I recommend going even bigger. (It's just my two cents; some people have had success with laptops.)

Use paper and scan it!
Nah, this is superior. It saves the step where you print something out, mark it up, go back to scan it, and save it in the right place. Those seconds add up. Plus, electronically, everything has an infinite canvas and things can be moved around.

I don't want to pay for subscriptions!
Microsoft Office is the only subscription service used here that's different from a paper setup. Cloud services for carrying your calculations around are optional, and it can be self hosted with free open source apps like Nextcloud (it's a bit more advanced and needs Linux).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

milkshakelake said:
That's because your tablet is too small!

I can attest to this. I have the same brand tablet as MSL, but I got the little one to "try it out." It works well from a technical standpoint: the pen is good, the interface responsive and natural, etc. But it's too small. Also, plan out your desk setup. The cables for mine are proprietary, so I'm stuck with a set length. They were barely long enough to hook up to my laptop in dock mode. Now that I have a beast of a desktop as my primary in-office work center, the cable is too short and I can't use it. I could probably get extensions but like I said it's too small...so I haven't been motivated.

I'll probably check for the 24" during Black Friday sales.

@phamENG I haven't tried 12" but tried smaller ones, and it's too small to use without zooming in/out. I understand the thing about desk space; my desk is 4' long and barely has enough space for it. One thing to mention is that it takes time to get used to, but the aggravation in the beginning is worth it for a faster work flow in the long term. When I first bought it, I was constantly cursing under my breath for wasting money on something I thought was worse than paper. Even now, sometimes I wish it was bigger than 24"; then I could work more easily with Arch D drawings, but my desk wouldn't handle it.

Yeah, I was just looking at the 22...half the price of the 24 and only an inch or so smaller. Still has a larger screen area than 11x17, which is the largest I can print anyway. I'm ordering a USB-C extension so I can get back to using it...even if only to keep notes on something other than Post-Its...

@phamENG This might be a philosophical point more than a practical one, but for business, I don't hold back on buying the best equipment. It pays dividends to have the best of everything (software, pens, hardware, computers, site tools, etc). So if it's only a few hundred dollars difference, it would be worth it for me to get that extra inch to have breathing room for 11x17. 1 or 2 hours of engineering work would pay it back. To me, it's similar to how athletes would pay thousands more for a 1% better bat or golf club. But anyway, everyone has a different business strategy.

I need to dig into it and see why the price difference is what it is...after all, it's barely an inch larger on the diagonal. From the pictures it looks like it doesn't have the buttons on the side and it's 1080p vs 2K. So it seems there is a reason it's cheaper, but the reason is mostly meaningless to me. I"ll have to do the research and see. The 24 is up to almost $900...I agree that in the context of engineering fees it's not very big, but as a one-man shop it's amazing how quickly those "not very big" line items turn into a cash swallowing hole...

need to get yourself one of these rubber rulers so you can draw a straight line without scratching the screen: Link

also strongly recommend some kind of macro pad like the Razer Tartarus or Huion Keydial outside of their usefulness in the drawings apps they work great in Revit/AutoCAD.

For dwg markups, i used bluebeam. all comments, etc. from all project team members are captured online and retained for all to see.
then again, more dwgs and corporation bought the corporate license.

what you described is likely for the single user?

press the shift key for drawing straight horizontal/vertical lines in excel.

When I worked on larger projects, I had a 'folder' template that I would use with all the sub-directories created, and those that weren't needed, were deleted.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

@pmover My company has 6 people and can't afford Blubeam subscription...like phamENG said, the expenses add up...so we use Pdf-Xchange, which is like $60 for 5 licenses. It works decently with a pen tablet. Didn't know about the shift key, will try that. We save the drawings on our physical server and send cloud links or old school email back and forth for collaboration.

@SWComposites I use XP-Pen Artist Pro 24 and XP-Pen Artist 22. If I had to start again, I wouldn't get the 22 because it's kind of small. There are tons of sales on Black Friday and there are competing brands with similar quality. I also have a Wacom Intuos , which is garbage and only used as a last resort (like if I'm in a coffee shop with a laptop). Even the Intuos beats not having a pen tablet though.

A downside is it's handy to have physical copies of important emails / drawings because employers and their lawyers cannot be trusted to not selectively edit or delete things. And saving electronic copies is alot more obvious.

MSL -- look at Bluebeam again. With your philosophy of having the best tools for the work, leaving Bluebeam out is a major gap in your productivity toolbox, particularly for paperless work, and particularly using Sessions for collaboration.

To the point where when I joined a startup office a few years back, I refused to go without it and bought a personal copy (back in the days of perpetual licenses). After my teammates saw the benefits over the first few months, the whole office came around.

Now that Bluebeam has gone to a subscription model I have found DrawBoard to be a serviceable replacement which still maintains a “sessions” like environment.

Not a CE, but I've never had much need for paper. I keep a mini notebook handy for the odd doodle and notes when the laptop fails but most weeks I dont touch it. In offices I've worked, paper has also been considered rather antiquated and handwritten anything generally unprofessional.

Software: Most print markups are minor and easily done in Adobe. For major rework I'll either sit down with the drafty and collaboratively sketch on paper or make the high-level change myself and ask them to detail via email. For most calcs I just start with a new spreadsheet to prevent arithmetic and algebraic errors and bc sooner than later I'll need to do the same work again. If I need a graphic, google and my pdf collection of textbooks readily provides 90% of my needs copy/paste and MS shapes tools handles the rest. For notes, I use MS OneNote between various computers and my phone to organize both my professional and personal lives.

Hardware: Desk and chair aside, I find large monitors to be the most important bit of hardware for comfort. I'm 6'4 so need to sit further back from the monitor for good posture, and in the past have struggled with eyestrain being too far away and neck/back pain from hunching over the desk to read smaller monitors. My current employer was slow providing a second monitor so I set up a spare 40" HDTV and IMHO its the perfect size for desktop use. For CAD work I bought a basic 3dConnexion space mouse/puck and love it for navigating pdfs and larger 2d drawings, it allows endless panning the same as you would handle paper vs click/drag/release/repeat with standard mice. It also makes sketching/manipulating the pointer on-screen much more controllable. Beyond that, in past offices I have also preferred to have both a desktop and laptop to prevent tasks from bogging down my only machine. With two computers I can run CAD or heavy analysis on the desktop and remotely manipulate it from the laptop, keeping most/all of the laptop's RAM & processor free for other tasks while the desktop does the "heavy lifting." The desktop can also stay uninterrupted on a LAN line tied directly to the corporate server, allowing heavy work to be completed reliably while the laptop is on WiFi in a conference room or across the country. Most importantly, if CAD freezes during an important presentation it won't kill my laptop and I can pivot to Powerpoint or otherwise keep presenting.

Good dialogue tho. I may yet try a display tablet if I see a deal, they look neat but I'm not sure I'd see enough benefit to justify much expense bc I'm pretty good with existing tools.

It's tough to break old habits; I've tried to dump as much paper as possible, but my wife still likes to write things in a notebook or print out certain documents. Nevertheless, we've at least gotten to the point where we donated away 6 cases of printer paper.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

@Lomarandil I don't see much benefit because we're getting the job done, but I'll definitely re-explore Bluebeam. I wish I had some copies before they went subscription-based. Celt83 mentioned DrawBoard so I'll check that out as well.

@CWB1 I used the Adobe pdf program for a while, but it wasn't cutting it for a lot of reasons. Rather than explain the reasons, other options are also cheaper. But if it's working for you, then no need to change it. Also agreed about large monitors; it helps a lot. About Google and the pdf collection, I still haven't figured out how to organize it electronically so that the whole office can use it (i.e. books can have post-its at important sections but pdf's don't) so we have a physical and electronic library. I try not to rely on people being able to search into the right part of a book; it wastes time.

It's interesting that you use a remote computer for heavy lifting. The reason I don't do that is because the time it takes to transfer a file to the remote computer, run it, and send it back adds a bunch of overhead and complexity. We use ETABS, which needs files to be on a local hard drive and not a server. Also, it was always a bit choppy, even over LAN but especially remotely. What tools did you use for this? Windows Remote Desktop?

About paper being antiquated, there are respectable, old school people that will die on a hill to defend paper calculations and markups. I have two of those people, very intelligent, and yet they are clearly not going to adopt modern methods. (Those papers end up spreading over the desks and shelves like viruses.)

Thanks for sharing your own tips! Yeah, no need to get a tablet if you're already paperless and it wouldn't add value.

old school people that will die on a hill to defend paper calculations and markups.

I'd consider myself, "old school" since I just retired in Sept. Nevertheless, programs like Mathcad, SMath, or Maple Flow, can easily replace pencil and paper calculations AND do all the grungy unit conversions, AND make it easy to do dimensional analysis for error checking; you're never going to see a piece of paper show you where you made a math error. Plus. with some forethought, those programs' outputs are directly publishable in reports; the only issue is whether graphs are "pretty enough."

Yeah, and you're never going to find a sheet of paper doing your graphs for you.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back