Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

The ejection seats on the F-35 Joint Strike Fighters are faulty... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember as kids that there were tanks and howitzers at McGregor amouries across from our grade school. After school we used to play on them, and occasionally get 'chased off'. I suspect they were training tanks (didn't know there were two types)... not secured in any fashion... that was more than 60 years back, though.

So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

It was the same when I was in as long as there was no bang involved. Artillery guns just dropped in the MT car park.

As soon as there was it was either in a secured compound or guard.

There maybe wasn't a training tank 60 years ago until the reactive armour came along.

So apparently the training tanks had plywood boxes replacing the reactive armor for safety reasons during training. Makes a lot of sense, especially since you don't need it during training unless your "shooting buddy" gets real confused.

And, if you're bothering to replace the real thing with plywood boxes, you'd probably like it to look real, and so it could fool some onlookers. I am having trouble seeing why anyone would bother.

But I'm having trouble seeing the weight of reactive armor as being 15 to 20 tons. A quick lookup comes up with 3 tons.

What I do see is that Leopard 2's weigh around 70 tons. And Leopard 1's weigh about 40 tons. If there were some of the 1's retained for training, perhaps someone shipped them out with the 2's. That would (easily) account for the dramatic weight difference. But how such a thing could ever happen is.......

I think training tanks are old tanks no one wants, but are still useful to teach the newbs on. If someone did something fancier, I'd like to see some hard data on that.

spsalso

The NBC packs are hellish heavy lumps of machinery that need the turret lifted to fix/fit/remove. .

These are UK challanger tanks I am on about.

I never worked on them apart from splitting tracks.

Must have been a challanger 1 that heard about.

So call it 2 tons for the NBC and Aircon pack about 11 tons additional, They might have had a couple of barrels strapped to them as well. I really don't have a clue what you load in a combat fit MBT.

I can see someone sending Challenger 1's without extra armor (that were being used for training) along with the 2's--a weight difference of 15 tons. And getting past a clueless officer. Or two.

spsalso

"The ejection seats insert component here on the F-35 Joint Strike Fighters are faulty..." could apply to so many F35 headlines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back