Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

The HTGR, (unit 1) at Peach Bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.

matschka

Materials
Apr 23, 2002
US
The HTGR, (unit 1) at Peach Bottom Pa with its ornamental steel containment vessel was almost a
vessel failure. The original design for the containment vessel was for a straight wall vessel up to the dome.If you can find some pictures of the completed vessel, you will see that it has many horizontal rings with stiffeners all the way to the dome. Those horizontal rings are heavy
T-beams with vertical stiffeners welded in between. The 'plan of attack' was for CBI to erect some rings and then leave. The main contractor,B ,would get work done inside the rings and outside the rings up to some predetermined point and then call CBI back to erect some more rings. This continued until the containment was about half way done. Now 'B' was pouring concrete inside and outside the rings. Well, one day, the 'B' inspector saw that the containment
was getting some large buckles in it. These buckles were so bad that he took a picture of one of the buckles while an associate held a very long straight edge against a ring. The st. edge was tangent at the top and the bottom but in between their was a buckle large enough you could almost reach thru and shake hands. Well needless to say, CBI said it was 'Bs' fault because of the concrete pours etc. 'B' said it was CBI's fault. I don't know who was at fault but the 'fix' was to erect and weld those T-beams and stiffeners because they thought if they did not, it could lead to a vessel failure. I know because I was working there at the time, and I have the picture of the guys doing the st. edge caper.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm having trouble following your post and I'm not familiar with the facility.

Is the the structure?

8023d366d8aa5cd5d71196a7f443a514.jpg

This Unit 1 at Peach Bottom was a HTGR reactor. The site has been demolished for some years now.
Their are 2 more General Electric boiling water reactors running there now. Those horizontal rings which you see T-beams. The verticals between the horizontal T-beams are stiffeners. The containment you see is not the original design.

I assume you are interested in the photo which shows the large buckle in the lower shell and the
large straight edge which was used to confirm this buckle. I will look for this picture in my families albums and at the same time I will check to see if it is restricted to show it.
I will also have to figure out how to take a photo and send it via email

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back