Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

The last "John Baker" show 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

joycejo

Aerospace
Sep 22, 2006
US
On Nov. 12th at the North East Regional User Group meeting. John Baker gave what will most likely be his last public presentation at a PLM World activity. Below are the links to see this.

Enjoy

John Joyce
Manufacturing Engineer
Senior Aerospace CT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't fish, cars are just to get where I'm going and I save 'old money', not stamps. I am also into photography and have started a new thread dealing with that:

As for the 'NX license', I didn't ask and none was offered.

John R. Baker, P.E.
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I'm sure this forum community is already considering buying you NX license. LOL
John, thank you for the years of great support! Have a great retirement!

Dear Mr. Baker,

Don't retire yet - I have a challenging question for you, born of a very odd situation . . .

I am supposed to do some animation of a lineup of machinery that will be built by marrying together machines made by various manufacturers. That entails me receiving either .STEP or .IGS files from the various manufacturers that I can import into my animation software of choice - Autodesk SHOWCASE. I have received models from most of the manufacturers, except one . . . they refuse to send me their models because anything they send would have dimensions associated with it. They consider their dimensions to be proprietary and will let no one have access to that info. They design with NX.

I don't use NX and can't advise them on a method to export their models with dimensions suppressed such that no one else can access the the dimensions. Can you offer any advice or a workaround ?

Thanks,

Mercury BDS

@mercurybds :
You should start a new thread for this question.
No dimensions will be associated if they use formats like parasolid or JT. The parasolid format only supports geometry, No annotations/ dimensions.
The JT format can contain PMI, if that exist on the original model.
But if it doesn't, then there will be no dimensions.

If this company is afraid of that you can measure their geometry, ask them to supply you with a STL file, then the accuracy is permanently gone...

Regards,
Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back