Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The ratio of deformation speed to wave speed exceeds 1.0000 in at least one element error in ABAQUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

S Balakumaran

Civil/Environmental
Apr 4, 2022
IN
I am trying to simulate impact analysis with Car and Crash Barrier in ABAQUS. I used SI (mm) units throughout my modeling. When I run my model, I encounter the following error - “The ratio of deformation speed to wave speed exceeds 1.0000 in at least one element”. The stepwise procedure given in my model are given below:
Material Property:
Car: Mass Density : 2.5e-9 tonne/mm^3 ; Elasticity: 70000 MPa ; Poisson Ratio : 0.3
Crash Barrier: Mass Density : 7.8e-9 tonne/mm^3 ; Elasticity: 210000 MPa ; Poisson Ratio : 0.3
Step: Dynamic Explicit
Basic: Time Period: 0.05
Incrementation: Time Scaling factor: 0.2
Interaction: General Contact (Explicit)
Load: Predefined Field - Velocity: 10000 mm/s
Mesh size: Car – 50 ; Crash Barrier - 100

I developed this model based on this Youtube video - Since I encounter deformation speed error in the above model, I tried to simulate impact analysis with Car and Steel Column as explained in Youtube. This time, I followed the same steps as above except Predefined field – Velocity : 60000 mm/s. The model runs well without any error.
Comparing both the models, the only difference is velocity. In my study, the velocity is 10000 mm/s, whereas in the Youtube video, it is 60000 mm/s. While so, Why should I encounter the deformation speed error? What should I do to correct this error? Your suggestions are most welcomed.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How did you solve the problem with no detection of contact ?

Make sure that all units are correct, especially the density. If you are sure that it’s all good, use distortion control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back