Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The surface water drainage ditch over flows it's banks 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchdrain

Geotechnical
Feb 15, 2010
US
Hello,
Any comments, would be greatly appreciated. My questions are;
Can this ditch be saved?

If the ditch can not be saved does any one have comments or suggestions?

The house is on a small lot with a 30" wide X about 24" deep surface water drainage ditch filled with drain rock along the back fence, it narrows to 24" wide X about 12" deep from the corner of the house to the street. In addition to needing a functioning drainage method for surface water, water from the downspouts are in a solid 3 inch pipe. The base of the fence is 2 1/2 feet above the floor of the patio, house, garage.

An aerial view is attached the letter "A" is on the roof. The 3 red spots represent the beginning of the ditch and where the 3 neighbors surface water enters the yard. The blue line is the path of the ditch taking the water from the back of the house to the street. At the beginning of the ditch and where it turns around the house soil was added to the base and sides to keep the grade consistent. Water seeps out of the ditch in these areas. At the corner of the house water over flows the banks of the ditch all the way to the street.

Thanks in advance,
FD

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If your thinking of seeding the swale, you'll need a ECB with a shelf life of about 12-24 months to be able to intially provide protection for the swale until the vegetation has germinated and established a root base. The homeowner could help this process along by by watering.

Thanks Ryb01, you have been a great help! Nice pics too, sorry to be so slow!
FD

Hello again,

Any comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My question, I intend to use a small soil compactor in the 30 inch wide ditch to compact the loose soil after regrading is complete. I have not found any type of test device to determine the percentage of soil compaction for a small job, any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
FD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back