Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The top three sellers for butterfly valve? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoSmith

Mechanical
Sep 12, 2005
US
Hi,

Anyone knows the top three sellers for the butterfly valve in the world? How many competitors now in the USA and Euro.? Thanks for information.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tyco is at the top.

Probably Crane and Bray fill the other 2 spots.

There have to be at least a spazillion companies making Butterfly valves.

What are you really asking? Before addressing manufacturers clarify the application. Conventional butterfly valves have a thin flat plate for a disk. This is a very different valve from a tripple offset Vanessa. Do you want tight shutoff? Bidirectional tight shutoff? Throttling as a control valve?

Or are you wanting three universal butterfly bidders for all applications anywhere in the world?

John

Another major butterfly manufacturer is Cooper Cameron Valves. Theire brands, WKM HPBFV's, DEMCO, E-Series, fit the size, pressure and application needs of most industries, from food and beverage to saturated steam.
Bob

Of course if you take on board the valves used in the building services industry there will be some company in India or China that spits out many more, they are rebadged by the majors and resold at enormous profit.

Aside from Vanessa triple offset and Keystone (now Tyco) K-LOK butterfly valves, the other names that readily surface in my mind are Velan, Unicom (high performance type from S Korea) and Flow Serve.

Regards,
Amin

For more information about some of the valves mentioned by alamin, see thread408-126483 and the relevant links...

Hope this helps, 'NGL

In the world of triple offset butterfly's - aside from Vanessa as already mentioned, the other "Big Ones" in manufacturing are Tomoe-Tritech ( South Wales in the UK, .. and Headquartered in Japan ), Solent & Pratt, who used to be a nice independent UK company and have now been swallowed up by the bigger Curtiss-Wright group, and Orton SpA, based in Piacenza in Italy, and who are part of the FCx Group of companies.

The Far-East / Pacific Rim recent 'explosion' of manufacturer's have yet to really get their heads around TOBV's, both in 'design' and especially when it comes to 'exotics' in material spec's, but rest-assured, they WILL get there, and probably very quickly.

When it comes to double-offset and standard 'rubber lined' butterfly's.. the world is literally one's oyster ... there are a multitude of companies manufacturing and distributing - it all comes down to the old adage, " Ye pay for what ye get, my son "
Its easy to get a hold of really cheap and cheerful equipment ( as it is in virtually every sphere of valves ) but some of them wouldn't hold back snow, never mind any form of pressure containment.
To summarise - its horses for courses.. consider your application and the media to which you wish to subject the valve to, with a thought being given to all the usual temperature / pressure / chemical resistance criteria, and select something thats "fit for purpose"

Cheers.
VG

When combining lined butterfly valves (rubber of polymer lining)with no shaft offset, the old Posi-seal line from Fisher (Emerson) with a single offset, Double offset, or triple offset, there are hundreds of manufacturers. Determine the type that is appropriate for your need. Then check web sites like and they have a "valve sourcebook" that lists all the different manufacturers and the types of valves they produce. If your unit of measure is simply quantity, it has to be one of the rubber-lined companies that makes waterworks valves (AWWA) as this would be the largest consumer market.

bcd

Thanks for all input, I have many information now. What I need to know three universal butterfly bidders for all applications anywhere in the world!

Hey Valve God.... you left out the inventor and original patent holder from the sixties who liscenced ALL of the guys you mentioned in the triple offset market not to mention the LONG list of continued copycats trying to get onboard.

ADAMS Valves from Herne Germany patented the very concept that EVERY SINGLE other TOV manufacturer currently copies today.

Are you really GOD of valves???

ValveDude*

If all the valves are patented, whatever it is single, double or triple offset, why many companies, including US, design them? What is the patent number? Where can I find this old patent??

Basically, there is a confusion talking about the butterfly valve. In fact there three main group of butterfly valves: 1) the concentric linead butterfly valve
2) the double eccentric butterfly valve in which the sealing elements are the seat (at least in stainlees steel) and the seal ring (in rubber or in TEFLON in the case of the High Performance)
3) the tripple eccentric metal to metal seated valves.
In this case, from my point of view, it is wrong called this kind of valve butterfly. In fact the sealing elements are the seats in metal and the seal ring in metal. This is possible because of the third eccentricity. This kind of valves are now becoming the more specified valve to be used on the process.

Talking about the tipple eccentric metal seatd valve there are now three main suppliers in the world: ORTON (Italy), Tyco-Vanessa (Italy) and Adams.
From my point of view Orton and Vanessa are very good suppliers while Adams has commmitted too many mistakes (mainly in Ras Laffan Project in Qatar) in the past and now is not so reliable.

Talking about the tipple eccentric metal seatd valve there are now three main suppliers in the world: ORTON (Italy), Tyco-Vanessa (Italy) and Adams.
From my point of view Orton and Vanessa are very good suppliers while Adams has commmitted too many mistakes (mainly in Ras Laffan Project in Qatar) in the past and now is not so reliable.

Other suppliers such as Zwick make tripple offset butterfly valves. Each supplier makes mistakes. Many mistakes are made by the valve peddler who mis-applies a valve; often to sell something from stock. We all get upset with suppliers for mistakes.

John

What mistakes that they commonly make? Because of not bubble-tight? or leakage occurs? I think it is better to buy a valve from the suppliers, instead of the distributors. Because they will investigate in details, such as where I will use it and medium in flow, pressure and temperature ranges, the max. torque applied? For me, I love some companies that can supply both actuators and valves in a whole set.

I too buy automated valves. Often such houses carry valves and actuators in stock for urgent needs. They may sell an actuator that is too large, thus too costly if it is in stock and you really need the valve right now. However, plant down-time can be very costly.

Common mistakes:
elastomers incompatible with the fluid
floating balls sold for bi-directional applications
actuator sized for air pressure greater
position switches and solenoid valves installed without terminal strips or identification
failure to segregate terminal for - intrinsically safe; or for shutdown system controlling the solenoid and DCS monitoring position; or for different 24 Vdc/120 Vac signals, etc.
closing time too slow for large valves in gas service
closing time too fast for smaller valves in liquid service

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back