Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Theft of ASME Pressure Vessel Plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff0442

Industrial
Aug 5, 2013
US
We are a manufacturer of ASME Section VIII Div 1 & 2, U & UM pressure vessels. We have had 19 of our pressure vessels nameplates stolen and subsequently put on products manufactured by a 3rd party without certification and without our knowledge. The theft was accomplished by our CI. Has anyone heard of such a thing and is there any way of insulating our company from exposure? Also is there any law against this type of use or are we dependent on morals...lacking in this case.
Our lawyers seem to be treading on unfamiliar ground.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Our CI was the "Certified Individual" or "Certified Inspector" depending on who you ask. This is the individual within our Corporation who was the liason between manufacturing and ASME and HSB our inspectors.

1. A police report of the theft, it is a crime of your c.I. ant the purchaser of The stolen goods.
2. Civil suit against the purchaser of the n.plates for a high amount. Immediately contact the jurisdiction to investigate the unlawful vessels. A letter /written statement from you to the jurisdiction (i would put a copy to the n.p.purchaser too)will keep you off of any lawsuit if any of the vessel s fail. Good luck. Did you fired the guy or gal? I'm trying to catch a bad guy myself he's stealing couplings... And valves. genblr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back