Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[THERM-STRUC] TEMPERATURE MAPPING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Oct 26, 2004
US
Hi Everyone:

I modelled a solid cube with 200-300 nodes.

The loading condition is tricky. From experiments, I get thermocouple readings for 8 points in the cube
for one cycle.Then, I inputted experimental temperatures at the same nodal location (for 8 nodes) in my model.

My question is: How do I take care of other nodal temperatures?
Note: Temperature profile is not symmetric.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Iahmed
GRA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To me, the most straightforward approach, seems to be to make a small APDL loop that determines and applies the right nodal temperatures.

This based on interpolation from the eight nodal temperatures that you have.

Cheers!

Not really. I have myself never had to write one with this purpose. However, the APDL programmer's guide in the Ansys documentation quickly gives you all the information you need to write this kind of an APDL loop.

A word of caution: APDL will work well for small models like yours. However, it is not a very quickly executing language. So if you will be using really large models, another approach may be advisable.

Cheers!

Hi KalleH,

I need your comments on this approach which was suggested by Kamlesh, FEM Analyst

First, turn the model from structural to thermal (ETCHG).
Apply temperature (DOF constraints) at 8 nodes of the cube. Run a static thermal analysis. Turn the model back from a thermal model to stl. model (ETCHG) and read the RTH file (LDREAD). Then I will have all the temperatures as BFs.

Thanks.
Izhar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back